Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoracic facet joint syndrome

paulyabeppaulyabe Posts: 17
edited 08/18/2015 - 2:35 PM in Chronic Pain
I need help. Does anyone know of a surgeon (neuro) who can surgically help with facet joint pain? I have had the levels located of the facet joints causing me great pain, and have had a Rhizotomy/nerve ablation/RFA, however you refer to it. One side is brutally painful and even the procedure done on that side was very painful. I saw a neurosurgeon to explore a surgical option. He had done my cervical fusion, but was dumbfounded by what to do now. He supposedly does all levels of the spine + brain surgery, but he was of no help to me. Said he'd never done it before. I was very specific ahead of time, before I made the appt. and I reluctantly made the appt. Waste of time. Has anyone had a fusion of their thoracic spine to prevent movement of the joints? The Rhizotomy only brought relief for 2.5 months and insurance will not go for having it done every three months.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,820
    Hmmm, the thoracic spine is already supported by the ribcage. And the only treatment to for facets surgically are debridment or fusion. I don't know the level of facet issues , but if it's not lower thoracic I would be concerned about false positives as that nerve may also be inflamed by something else. Unless of course you have history of arthritis or have bone scan show arthritic facet or MRI show the damage.
    Thoracic fusion is a huge deal and I am not sure any surgeon would do this for facet unless was very damaged. We are talking about deflating lung and moving organs to fuse in many cases
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • paulyabeppaulyabe Posts: 17
    edited 08/31/2015 - 4:38 PM
    it's upper thoracic. Nothing looks amiss on the MRI. Was told a CT Myelogram of the area is the only way to see the facet joints/damage well. Had the Rhizotomy last week and it still hurts like hell. Was also told the Rhizotomy may bring longer relief the second time. Sooo frustrating!