Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My daughter downloaded Mozilla for me so now I can post myh own topics.
I am still have severe spasms in my lower leg. Flexerill works if I take it about every 4 hours and follow up with a pain pill soon. Not sure what to do. My daughter will be seeing the PCP on Monday (he is her dr. also) and is going to ask him about something that will work better. Sure hope he has something.

• Sorry you are having such a hard time with muscle spasms. I had really bad back spasms a few years ago when my disc herniated back then. This time around I didn't get the spasms for some reason.

Last time though I was taking flexeril and it was helping some but I found that the only way I could get out of bed without the spasms throwing me right back into bed was to ice the area for 10 minutes before getting up. Not sure why that worked but it did help a lot for me. Maybe it could help with your calf or maybe heat whichever works.

• I was given Skelaxin after surgery and now take Zanaflex. I like Zanaflex the best. The Flexerill made me SO SLEEPY! I could not function at all.
  • The doctor gave me an Rx for Amrix. Told my daughter that it was an extended release version of Flexrill. Worked great that night and the next day. HOWEVER, I didn't take the Flexerill and let the spasms get cranked up again So it not working very well tonight.
    Have taken some Lortab with it and sure hope it kicks in soon.Something has got to give - school starts in 5 weeks and I need to be doing something to build more stamnia and strength.
  • Hi Malaw,

I'm so sorry to hear your meds aren't working for you. Have you tried icing the area of spasms? That could help some, also heating pad may work. Personally I didn't care for flexeril, made me feel hung over the next morning. Like Cranky, I love Zanaflex used that before surgery, but now I'm on Soma and it's working like a charm. I think you just have to keep trying things until they work best for you, everyone is so different and how they respond to the meds. Good luck and I hope your spasms subside soon.

• Hi Malaw,

I'm so sorry to hear your meds aren't working for you. Have you tried icing the area of spasms? That could help some, also heating pad may work. Personally I didn't care for flexeril, made me feel hung over the next morning. Like Cranky, I love Zanaflex used that before surgery, but now I'm on Soma and it's working like a charm. I think you just have to keep trying things until they work best for you, everyone is so different and how they respond to the meds. Good luck and I hope your spasms subside soon.

• I had been told that while the back surgery would hurt the Total Knee Replacement was the most painful. WRONG. I have written down the two meds listed and will bring them up next visit is this doesn't straighten out.
    I have 5 weeks to get ready for school to start and I do need to get a more on with pain control and strength building. My PT come to the house and we do core strengthing exercises. I am assuming that I will be released to drive when I see my surgeon on the 29th, if not my PCP will by August 25 so I can go to work. Again thanks for listening. I love somebody being here when I can't sleep and my daughter loves that somebody else is listening to me and saving her.
  • :jawdrop: Did your Doc. prescribe it every 4 hours??? Its not made to be taken but every 8 hours at the most!!! Don't forget your heart is a muscle too!!! What works for me is the Flexerill every 8 hours and Valium every 4 to 6 hours. YES....It made me very tired at first, but got used to it after about 5 days. I couldn't get out of the bed due to back spasms a few weeks before surgery, then started on the above mixture. After starting it, it was hard to get out of bed, not cause of spasms, but very tired. After getting used to it the spasms where very minimal and could start back at my cross training for B.J.J.(very little just to stay some what active)!! And I'm still on this mixture after surgery, and works for me very well!! You also could just try the valium by it self!! Its a very good muscle relaxer!! Hope that long story helps, B.Ex.
  • The Flexirell didn't work at 8 hours, so I had to take something to aid it along. Vicodin did that,but like you said, kept me in a stupor.
    Today I have shakes. You would think thatI had OD on some real good stuff. Any suggestions on how to get through this session.
  • Broken,

I've been instructed to take flexeril every four hours before... maybe your instructions of every 8 hours are because you are also taking valium?

• I've been prescribed flexeril many times... and have found it really does nothing for my spasms. Valium works good, but even at 1/2 dose it makes me SOOOOOOO tired. I stay home with my 2 year old, so sleeping all day is not an option. Even if I were to take a nap when he does, I'm afraid that I won't wake up when he does, so I just don't take it if I'm home alone with him.

I've found that Soma works best for me, but I think doctors may be wary of prescribing it. My PCP insists on flexeril, and avoids Soma for some reason. He seemed to get angry when I told him about my problems with flexeril and valium, and asked to try soma again.

I have also found that taking an anti-inflammatory, such as advil, helps the spasms.
  • I also take Oxycontin for the pain. Who is giving you your meds? Are you going to a pain management doc. If not and your pcp or surgeon wont adjust your meds, then you need to seek out a pain management doc. It sounds like you could use the valiums!!! Its a great muscle relaxer and helps with the anxiety and keep a positive happy outlook ;) !!!!!
    Good Luck,B.Ex.
  • You get used to the valium pretty fast!! Maybe start it on a friday! I also stay at home with my 3 year old and don't sleep at all during the day. When she takes a nap is when I work out!! I rest when my wife gets home. And all meds effect every one different.....its worth a shot!!!!! Hope You Find Some Relief Soon, B.Ex.
  • Thanks for the comments. It is my PCP prescribing and I am going to ask him to recommend me to Pain Management if some relief doesn't happen soon
    I don't often have a RX problem. Last night I went to bed early (8PM) and I took one of the new drugs. Slept until about midnight, woke up and realized that I had not taken my night time durgs. When in to take them and evidently took another extended tab. Have been going through detox all day. (Shakes, jumpy,skin crawling-just miserable) That started about 1:30 this a.m. Sleep was in maybe 30 minute increments. Most of the shakes have stopped. Sure hope I can sleep tonight. I'm exhaused.
  • Ya from what I'm told total knee replacement is the most successful and easiest to recover from. My mom at 61 had one knee done then the other 6 weeks later. They were both done 16 weeks before my lumbar fusion. I waited to set up my surgery after she was released from her Doc. so she could come and stay at my house to watch my little girl for me. The Doc. thought she was nuts because the whole time post op she didn't take her pain meds. and I was there when he came out of the O.R. from doing both. He said if she would have waited another month they would have been to bad to do and that he had never seen knees that tore up!!! LOOONNNGGGGG story short 4 months post op she was taking care of me and my little one. She was climbing in her fort, playing kick ball,....etc!!!
    The Doc. said he wanted to make her the poster child for knee replacement!!!!! I just wish I was as strong and she is. I tell ya, you should never stop looking up to your parents no matter how old you get. I couldn't have had my surgery if it wasn't for her.....THank GOD!!!!!!!!B.Ex.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I have had almost every imaginable muscle relaxer over the past 30 years. Flexeril while is very effective in helping with muscle spasms, I would be wiped out the following day. Almost as if I had this MAJOR hangover, I couldn't open my eyes or function the way I should.

Thats why I stopped with Flexeril..
    I also did not go with Valium, it was effective, but it can be so addicting.

Everyone is different everyone takes to different medications differently, but for me, Zanaflex is the best overall muscle relaxer.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The shakes finally stopped and now I am being real careful about when I take my meds. Home Aide was worried, but I relaxed when I told her I was keeping track of my bp and pulse rate. Having minor spasms now, but just took the new med for the night.
    Now if I could just get to where I felt moreconfident about not using the walker.
    Thanks for all the comments.
  • Have you tried magnesium with potassium. There are lots of different ones avaialble but my brother who is a naturopath put me onto them when I was getting cramps.
    Makes such a difference and I take so many prescribed drugs already that I didn't want to add another to the list.
    If you have a natural therapy store near you the natropath will be able to recommend the best one.
    Worth a try.

Blessings Sara
  • I haven't tried that, but will as soon as I can get some.