Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my first ESI on the 12th and worst pain of my life!

sierra15235ssierra15235 Posts: 1
edited 08/17/2015 - 9:27 AM in Spinal Injections
I was sent for an ESI by my neurosurgeon because he finally told me, after seeing 2 ortho doctors, that I had stenosis from a herniated disc and so much inflammation in the spinal canal, and that was why I had so much pain. It is of course pinching off the nerves that affect sciatica. I have bad tingling down my thigh and down the left side of my leg into my foot, which also feels like I had novacaine at the dentist when I touch my foot.

Nothing prepared me for what I was about to feel when I got this injection. I know quite a few people that have had them and none of them have experienced what I did. First he injected the numbing solution which shot straight into my upper thigh. I told him that when he asked if I felt it. Then when he began injecting the steroid medication I thought my leg was going to explode. I felt not one ounce of pressure in my back but every single ounce of pain going straight into my leg. He had to stop 3 different times the pain was so intense. I can't even explain what type of pain it was and I have a high pain tolerance. It was one of the most excruciating things I have ever felt. He had to let me lay back down after because I was covered in sweat and felt faint. He wants to do a series of 3 with another in 3 weeks.

I have not felt any improvement in my leg pain or my back pain. In fact, since the initial numbing was gone after the second day my pain has increased more each day. Before I just had the tingling in my leg and now I feel pain along with the tingling and can barely accomplish a shopping trip. I am now having trouble falling asleep and being comfortable because no matter how I lay I feel pain in my hips and it goes down my left leg.

My neurosurgeon told me to give it 10 days to see if it helped and if it didn't not to get another one. I am going to try to wait out the full 10 days and see if the pain lessens any before I call him and find out if I should get a second one.

Have any of you that have had an ESI experienced complete and total pain down your leg during the injection that was just totally unbearable? I cried for 2 hours after the procedure I was so upset and shook up.

I've been reading about ESIs for almost 10 years now and I have had over 12. I have never read or heard anything like what you just described. Question, did the doctor use a fluoroscope or other x-ray device for precise guidance in the placement of the needle? Take a look at this article Epidural Steroid Injections - Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator