Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scan of cervical spine, considering surgery

I recently received copies of my cervical MRI scan, I have a few bulging discs, C4-C7 nerve impingement at C6/C7 and I have symptoms which correlate to C6 and C7 with numbness to fingers and thumb.
I have quite severe pain in my neck and across shoulders and artificial disc replacement and fusion at one level has been mentioned.
I am an NHS patient in the UK, you do have to fight tooth and nail to be seen, never mind operated on if you don't have spinal cord compression or severe nerve damage.
I am worried about leaving surgery until my condition worsens further, as I do seem to get worse every year.
I suppose my question is does anyone think surgery should wait, or should surgery be considered when you have had symptoms on-going for 10 years.
I have tried nerve block injections, epidural, pain courses to help cope with the pain, numerous drugs including pregabalin and muscle relaxants.
I am so fed up with not being able to work, I have lost much of my independence as driving is almost impossible.
I would prefer disc replacement to fusion, but don't know whether I will be given the option.
I have uploaded the image to my account, but don't know if you can upload them on a thread to give a larger image?
Thank you to anyone who can give me any advice.

• I just posted also with many similar concerns. It is tough having so many questions and wanting to make the right/best decisions.
  • mollypcb said:
    I just posted also with many similar concerns. It is tough having so many questions and wanting to make the right/best decisions.
    Hi molly, it is awful. So many people seem to suffer the same problems, I had no idea how common it is it to have neck and back problems. I hope you manage to get some help.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    I am not a doctor. I have severe stenosis, spinal root damages and pain and numbness that comes with it. This is what I heard
    1. My old PCP: if you have lived with this pain for years chances are it would not get worse as quickly as you think.
    2. Neurologist: Stay away from surgeries as long as you can, I will go to the surgeons if i m crawling on my four limbs.
    3. NS: There is damages in the spinal root, its better to operate now.
    4. Ortho: Lets try to push the surgery a few years if we can (there is a chance of adjacent segment disease if we fuse C5-c6 or c6-c7.
    5. pain med: no surgery needed. Cervical epidural shots are recommended.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.