Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatic pain 2 weeks po

I have had low back pain for as long as I can remember ( BUT IT WAS MANAGEABLE!). In April 2009 an mri showed that I did have a buldging disc, facet degeneration, And an annuluar tear. 6 days after a ESI I could not walk on my on and have stayed in horrible pain since. In February of this year I started having a horrible pain/cramp in the side is my butt. I thought that it was just my fybromyalgia but I started having pains in my shin too that would radiate to my ankle, along the top if my foot, And to my first 2 toes. Across the top of my foot would be a burning/hot poker feeling. I became pretty much bed ridden And in constant pain. I finally saw a new surgeon in May and everything was rushed bc it was pretty serious ( someone finally took me seriously!). I ended up having a L5 disctomy June 3rd and felt amazing after surgery! And for about 2 weeks a after. The old pain and some new pain has come. I am NOW experciencing pain down my right (same side) butt cheek and into my hamstring. At times this can kinda catch and I feel like my butt and hamstring are going into a spasm. I literally fall!- if someone isn't there to catch me. I feel like all of my toes are numb and if I flex And unflex them the will start twitching in their own so I just leave them alone. My new MRIreally doesn't look any better than the pre-op but the surgeon says (over the phone) it's just immflamation. I see him tomorrow for him to tell me this to my face And I have a nerve root block scheduled. I'm just confused. Why do I need a procedure if I've had surgery? Why all of this pain still?

• Somebody? Anybody? He looked at the MRI and thought that it was a reherniation also! So he called the radiologist and he said that it was just swelling and blood so that's the verdict for three more weeks. If I'm still in pain then he will do another MRI with gabappentin. I'm pretty sure that It's herniated again. The pain has gotten so awful that I could barely walk. Today has been a bit better.
  • I don't have any answers for you. I feel your pain, literally! My toes are numb, incredible butt and hamstring pain, to the point I use a wheelchair a lot of the day. I'm going to a Neurologist in a few hours for a Nerve Conduction test. Hopefully I'll get some answers.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • I'm also experiencing severe leg and hip pain 4 months after my disctomy s1/L5. My spine surgeon suggested a nerve root block and I'm worried why so soon after the op. I hope you find relief with your root block procedure. Good luck.
  • LhugsLLhugs Posts: 3
    edited 08/28/2015 - 9:12 AM
    I just had spinal fusion L5S1, 3 1/2 months now and continue to have back pain daily with numbness and tingling down left leg almost as bad as before surgery. I am being told X-rays look good, continue Norco, Lyrica, and diazepam. Went to my primary care physician, discussing issues I was having and asked if I could be having a reoccurrence of shingles sine it was similar 8 years ago, without a rash. She drew some labs, yes I have shingles and started Valtrex. Can't wait to see the ortho surgeon in a couple of weeks to break the news, sometimes I feel they think all patients are drug seekers and I am a nurse! I hope this eliminates my pain really soon. Good luck to you.
  • Thanks guys! Reading these forums has really helped me mentally. Sometimes I think I'm going insane. Everyone is different and there are so many things that could be going on. I'm really thinking that I've reruptured. Getting to the bottom of this is my main goal. I hate that so many people are suffering too. I truly do, But I'm also thankful that I'm not alone; I don't feel so crazy