Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Level 4 possible...freaking OUT!!!

I went for my follow up to my discogram yesterday and to schedule my surgical consult. I was informed that was originally going to be a level 2 lumbar fusion is now looking like it's going to be a LEVEL 4!!! Ugh! Everything I seem to read about having anything more than a level 2 isn't great. Now, I'm looking up other surgeons in the area and even spine centers within 5 hours to get second and third opinions, even though I really like and trust my doc.

Has anyone here had a level 4 fusion? What are your experiences? Right now, the recommendation is to be fused from L2-S1.

Is there a great resource for all of the questions I should be asking for this surgery? I want to make sure I am not missing anything while my brain is going a million thoughts a minute.

• Hi there. I don't have any information for you, sorry. I am facing a level 3 fusion and very much can identify with your "freaking out." I was originally only going to have level 1. But the discogram came back positive for all three levels. That blasted test was painful... I think it could have come back positive for any disc it tested. Anyway, good luck.
  • glory0621gglory0621 Posts: 5
    edited 08/21/2015 - 10:31 PM
    I had a 4 level posterior cervical fusion on March 12, 2015. I had c3-c6 with instrumentation. The worse thing for me after the surgery was having to wear my neck brace for 2 months, only taking it off when sitting. I slept in recliner for at least 4 months. I didn't have to take much pain meds after the first 3 weeks. I haven't notice any difference in my mobility. I am on 5 months since my surgery and start PT on Monday. When I went to my post surgery exam is when I learned my surgery was going to be posterior instead of anterior 2 level surgery. The anterior is suppose to be easier to heal. So like you I freaked out. I started asking questions not only to doctor but to friends, who I knew had recently had back surgery. These friends often referred me to other friends who had surgeries. I learned not only about my surgery but about my doctor, as well. I wish you the best of luck!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage