Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteoporosis ?

VikingVViking Posts: 128
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures

My surgeon has ordered some tests for me, one he called a bone density test and another was an osteoporosis test and another was a blood test, could someone plaese tell me what to expect and what the tests are .
I had promised myself not to research and to just go in ignorant and blind, but my curiosity has got the better of me!
My surgeon also said if I was positive for one of the tests, he would like me on Fossamax for at least 4 weeks before my next fusion operation. Has anyone else had this recommendation?

• Thanks for your quick reply Pmazz.

One of the appointments ordered at the same time as all the others, has already come through, the CT scan , just 14 days ( must be some kind of record !) so maybe the others will come in time to start Fossamax treatment(or simular) inside the 5 to 6 week timeframe you mentioned.

All meds have very different names over here in Denmark. There is a web of rules and regulations governing both the price and the availability of certain drugs, however the surgeons work in teams of 5, so between them there are many years experience and expertize, so I am sure they will find the right combination for me. For now I am hoping my non-fusion is just an unlucky fluke and that I prove negative for osteoporosis!
  • Hi V,

Did you have your other tests yet? I hope you don't have Osteoporosis but it's never too early to start treatment for it. Prevention is better than cure and this disease is one that is preventable. You need to ensure that you are taking in adequate amounts of calcium in your daily diet. if not you will need a supplement. Here we use Calcichew D3 Forte and together with the Fossamax works a treat.

There are many drugs on the market and the GPs use their choice of preference but I think your surgeon is right with what he is doing so far for you. You can go online and get lists of the different foods that contain calcium and what amount. It's quite surprising really and you may already to be taking in your recommended daily amount and may only need to take the Bisphos.

I started taking Calchiew D3 for a bit as my dad has osteoporosis and my mum has osteopenia. People say I'm far to young at 32 but you know what, I'm not! The youngest patient I saw in my clinic was 12 and had gone undetected by the GP after 7 v nasty fractures!

Let me know how you get on and email me if you want to know more. I should have some files etc on my pc.

• I have actually taken a multivitamin and minerals tablet most of my life, at 8 years old, both my elder brother and sister became insulin dependant and my mum gave them multi-vitamin tablets to ensure all bases were covered, and I wanted one a day too and it stuck as a daily habit. I have always hated fish so I take an omega-3, daily and have taken an extra calcium since I was 30, since it is known that womens calcium deposits go down hill after 30 years old. I have cereals with milk every morning, the cereals have over half of the daily recommended amount for vitamins and minerals , so I think I am pretty well covered, being the fruit and veg. fan that I am ! So thats why I am hoping that the non-fusion is an unlucky fluke.

I think I remember, one has to give up calcium supplements when taking fossamax,from my nursing days, but so many of the tests and meds are new or just have a different name over here, its just so confusing in Danish,and the Gabapentin is melting my ability to hold a thought for more than 2 minutes anyway, researching on the net is exhausting!

My CT scan is tomorrow afternoon, the appointments for the other tests have not come through yet, so I have an eye on the post box every morning, not that it helps !
    Glad to see you posting, and hope you and your dad are doing better.

Love and Best Wishes Viking
  • viking- I found out I had osteoporosis just as a routine test from my gyn for my annual female exam. I was surprised to find out that I had it. It was diagnosed with a DEXA scan, a painless X-ray like test that took maybe 10-15 min. I hope your tests turn out OK. :) jade
  • what do people do when they are allergic to calcium like pills Fosamax and milk products.
  • Hi Razzle,
    There is a blog on here "10 ways to get enough calcium if you are lactulose intolerant"
    However, I have not heard of anyone being intolerant to calcium and some meds like fossamax and other pills come with different sorts of bulking agents so you can find one you can tolerate, hopefully.

Thankyou Jade. I am still waiting for the post on that one , but glad to hear it is such a quick passive exam.The CT scan confirmed the earlier pictures I have had taken and my re-do is now booked for the week beginning 15 September.

Viking :)

• Viking,

I am surprised that your surgeon wants you on FOSAMAX before your fusion. I was taking it for years before, but about three weeks prior my surgery the doc told me to stop it, and I did not resume taking it 'til I was almost fused at 5 months. There was a thread here (maybe in the old forum?) about FOSAMAX and fusion, but apparently it inhibits fusion. I don't quite understand how, as it is quite counterintuitive to what I would think, but that is the way it is. So do some research on this before you begin taking it. Once you are fused, it is a very good idea to begin taking it.

• She has lot of pain in back. MRI Says

Partial collapse of D12 and L1 vertebra with gibbus deformity likely due to osteoporsis. Comination of gibbus deformity and circumferential disc bulges betweeen D11-D12, D12-L1 and L1-L2 causing impingement of distal toracic cord and consus medullaris.
    No significant spinal canal stenosis.

wthat to do
  • In Bone Density Test you have to just place the heel of your foot in the ultrasound mechanism so all you have to do is take off one shoe and sock. Sound waves pass painlessly through the heel to assess your bone quality. Each consultation takes only 15 minutes which consist of an explanation of your result and information regarding prevention of osteoporosis and maintenance of healthy bones.
    The osteoporosis test is used to detect the presence of DpD in the urine. Dpd is a chemical involved in re-absorption of the bone.
  • are you allergic to milk or just lactose intolerance? I have to take Lactaid just before I drink milk or I'll have cramps and pains in my stomach. There is a milk that has Lactaid in it, but I don't care for it, and it is more expensive. Also, I cannot take Fosomax but I am having Reclast fusion soon. It's much easier on the stomach.
  • Patients may not be aware of their osteoporosis until they suffer a painful fracture. The symptom associated with osteoporotic fractures usually is pain; the location of the pain depends on the location of the fracture. The symptoms of osteoporosis in men are similar to the symptoms of osteoporosis in women.

URL removed

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
This discussion has been closed.