Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice on communicating with PM doc

KelsiedeeKKelsiedee Posts: 32
edited 08/24/2015 - 12:12 PM in Pain Management
So as I'm writing this my anxiety is just through the roof. A little background, I have herniated discs at T8-T11, osteoarthritis, bones spurs in my lumbar spine caused by osteoarthritis, and DDD. I've been with my PM for about seven months and so far so good until today. I'm currently taking 10/325 Norco twice daily and 750 Robaxin at night. My PM doctor wanted me to try PT again so back to PT I went.

Over the past month, my issues have gotten worse so quickly. PT makes me ache. Work also makes me ache. While I search for my post grad job I'm currently a server. Meaning most days are ten hours on my feet. When these two things fall on the same day, I'm miserable. Then it's now gotten to the point where the miserable uncontrolled pain has just stayed miserable and uncontrollable. Over the weekend, I was at a seven while fully medicated. This morning, I had to cancel PT and call off of work (a first for me) because I couldn't walk.

I called my PM's office first thing and they called back a few hours later and I talked to the nurse. I told her basically this is the worst my pain has been in about seven months. I'm taking my meds, using heat, ice, bio freeze, tens, hot baths/showers, deep breathing, basically everything short of clawing out my own spine. I ask her if there's anything else I can do and really tried to stress to her how bad the pain currently is and how much anxiety I feel being unable to control it.

She asks me about NSAIDs, which I tell her I can't take due to chronic gastritis. She then proceeds to ask why I'm on my second PM doctor. Which kinda blew me away because I've already discussed this with my doctor. My first PM and I did not hit it off so I stopped seeing him before a full month. I explained as much. She tells me to work less hours. If it was that easy, I'd be doing that already. So she then says there's nothing they can do because I can't take NSAIDs, tells me I'll see them in three months and to discuss it then, and proceeds to hang up.

This is literally the only time I've ever had an issue with this office. I just kind of looked at my phone with my mouth hanging open for a minute. Then proceeded to cry a little because my anxiety hit the roof thinking I could possibly feel like this for three months. I guess my question is, what are my options here? I'm still in this miserable uncontrolled pain. The part that really frustrated me was that she didn't even discuss anything with my doctor before telling me I was SOL. I'm hoping this is just a flare up but if not, im going to try to get an earlier appointment to discuss what's going on. I have a good rapport with my doctor, but how can I really impress upon him how I'm feeling? I think it may be time for a medication switch up, but I feel like I can't come out and say that. I just want him to know how bad it really is.

My apologies for the novel. I'm just ranting out of anxiety. Any advice is always appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    edited 08/24/2015 - 5:11 PM
    Your First Pain Management Appointment

Beyond that, the best path is always to be upfront and honest with the doctor. Most experienced doctors can read between what a patient says and what the patient demonstrates.

So, if you are taking medication XYZ and it has not helped you, then you need to tell them exactly. Why it hasnt helped you. But the best action after that is to ask the doctor what they suggest as another option. The last thing you want to do is tell the doctor that you want this or that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com