Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op sleep

MrsCrogMMrsCrog Posts: 1
edited 08/28/2015 - 8:27 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi, all. I'm 3 wks post-op from ACDF at C6-C7 and I'm having the WORST time getting any sleep. I'm in a soft collar and my first follow up is next week.

I've tried the wedge pillow, no wedge pillow, the couch, the recliner... I can sometimes get an hour or two in the recliner during the day, but at night, I just lay there bored and irritated.

I'm a side sleeper, but every time I think I'm in a good position on my side and start to relax, it feels like my trachea and esophagus are twisting and it's hard to breathe or swallow.

Am I alone in this irritant, or have others experienced this? I'm just so frustrated with not being able to sleep!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderators, savage

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    When I had my ACDFs, the only couple of hours a sleep at night I got was using the Wedge or sleeping in a recliner.
    My best nights, I might have gotten 3 hours of sleep. But after a while, you get used to that.

After all of my surgeries, 4 hours of sleep a night is a good night.

Check this out, its Spine-Health's Wellness center on Sleep
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I hear ya. I had c4- then c5-6 all with in 1 year. Neck so sore. I seems bound up, couldn't turn my head normally, as so afraid this was just going to be this way forever. Went so far as to have a Mri on my brain, no problems reported there. What worked the best for me was the Neurologist prescribed me muscle relaxers I took at bed time. Day and night difference. It allowed me to move more normally during the day and let me sleep at night. Now I finally feel "regular" with regard to my surgeries.

Best wishes