Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe DDD

luechauerlluechauer Posts: 1
edited 08/30/2015 - 11:16 AM in Chronic Pain
I have severe degenerative disc disease(DDD);L 4-S1 spinal fusion with hardware 2/2011 & C 3-C 7 spinal fusion with hardware 2/2012. The rest of my discs are degenerating but my surgeon says I am not a surgical candidate because it would be very extensive surgery. He referred me to pain management 11/2014. Since starting pain management I have had 2 lumbar injections & 3 cervical injections. I also take tramadol 1-2 tabs 3 times per day & cyclobenzadrine 1 tab 3 times per day as needed. I also eat 1/4 of a marijuana cookie every evening & as needed.

Due to chronic headaches from occipital neuropathy, my life has changed dramatically. I am no longer able to work ( I was a nurse for 30 plus years & loved being a nurse). I sit in a recliner with a neck pillow & crochet 90 % of the day. I walk a mile 5 - 7 days a week & stretch several times a day. The only time I don't have pain is when I lie in bed & refuse to be bed bound. I can shower & dress but can no longer perform household chores , drive, shop. My social life is pretty much non-existent.

I am 59 years old & per my surgeon I my spinal x-rays look like an 80 year old spine. My DDD stems from genetics on my father's side & I watched my uncle & grandmother suffer with pain & deformation of their backs. My uncle had severe curvature with scoliosis( he had a 70% curvature to the left) & grandma had severe kyphosis( she has a 70% curvature forward)

I receive social security disability & started on Medicare this month. have a very supportive husband who has taken over the the household chores & grocery shopping.

I have a very strong spiritual faith which helps me go on with life.

I have joined this forum to get & give support & information.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• Isn't very strong. Have you asked for anything stronger? I'm on Norco which is Vicodin with half the Tylenol. It's the one Narcotic that doesn't make me tired or loopy. It's gotten me through the last 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately it doesn't help much with the severe sciatica that I have now.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil