Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Cymbalta

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
To make a long story short, our daughter was murdered in November 07 by her ex-boyfriend. I went into deep depression. Doc originally put me on wellbutrin, didn't work. She then switched me to Cymbalta. Since going on the cymbalta it has also helped amazingly with my chronic pain in my shoulders and neck. I was doing injections before cymbalta. I also had done many, many meds in search of relief over a period of five years. I finally quit my 55 hour a week job went down to part time and weaned myself off of them. I started doing herbal remedies such as omega 3's, tart cherry juice, vitamin D..etc Along with over the counter meds and biofreeze spray. With doing those things, life became livable again and I felt in control of my pain. Now that I have this low back issue (spondy) I feel like it's all out of my control. It frustrates me. I am on 90 mg of cymbalta and darvocets. I still do my herbal stuff and over the counter. I also use a tens unit. I am currently not working--unless you count laundry.(smile) Question is--can increasing a dose of cymbalta help more with pain? I'm currently in PT four hours a week. I really don't want to do the stronger pain meds. When I do--I over do myself and end up in more pain--like a vicious cycle. Any thoughts?

take care,

• My heart is breaking for you...My stepdad lost his daughter years ago when she was 18 and I see how it affects him...

I'm currently on 60mg of Cymbalta, but I've only been on it for a few weeks, so I haven't seen any discernible difference...But I do use Voltaren gel and that helps a lot with my aches and pains! Maybe talk to your doctor about that? In my humble opinion, it helps far more than the Biofreeze and if your pharmacy doesn't have it, it can also be compounded! My Pain Management Doc gave me some samples, maybe one of your docs can do the same?

You're in my prayers...
  • Cindy,
    I think I would check things out with your doctor about increasing your dose. Cymbalta helped me through my neuro pain, but we are all different when it comes to meds. Hope things get better for you.
  • I never really noticed a change in my pain control after I began taking cymbalta. I do know that without it I am a depressed wreck though and have horrible mood swings. I'm sure that I would do OK on something different though.
  • Thanks all for the advice, I see my PCP on Wednesday. The cymbalta helped my depression and chronic pain after it kicked in. I'm having the difficulty with the pain and trying to deny it. I really don't want to go back to the med stage again. Although I do occassionally take darvocet. The kids have been great about doing the things I ask them to do, but they get worried if they sense my pain. They have been through enough this past year. They're already asking questions about why I go to the docs so often.
    thanks again..