Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery complications

Hello fellow community members-

My pain is a nerve pain which is in my feet, lower legs and left out thigh. I believe the pain is from my spine surgery which as a t12/L1 laminectomy/fusion with instruments done in a posterior lateral (modified TLIF approach) approach. Other doctors believe that the spinal cord may have been inflammed or touched too much during insertion of the cage from the left. My surgeon and operative report indicates that the cord was not retracted nor touched. In order to get the cage in, the doctor would have to get near the spinal cord, so it is hard to say if it was damaged/bruised. What I do know is that I have new pain since surgery, which started as a burning left foot with throbbing pain. THe burning pain has subsided a bit in my foot but the burning neuropathic pain is still there and it is now in both feet, both calves, and my left outer thigh has pain which was probably never adequately addressed. I also feel some pain in my groin area.

I also had an L2 L3 left sided hemi-laminectomy the same day of my surgery for T12/L1 which was 6/29/15. Other doctors that have seen my post op MRI and cat scans feel that l2 l3 should have been full laminectomy as there is still compression going on there. Furthermore, the doctors looking at my MRI/cat scan say it is hard to tell if there was damage to my cord at t12/l1, although there was a higher mri intensity singal around the cord which could be due to metal artifact. My latest neurosurgeon, and doctor who performed my surgery both say to give it more time. Both agree the area is too soon after surgery to operate again. The neurosurgeon wants to see me in 3 months and do another MRI and flex x rays.

The neurosurgeon indicated that going back into t 12 is risky although there are bone spurs there. However, further surgery on l2 l3 may help but would require a good surgeon to do the full laminectomy due to the scar in that area from the first operation.

I would like to know if anyone else has dealt with new post op pain and complications and what they are doing. One doctor suggested to look at spinal cord stimulators. I have checked them out and would like to know more about the high frequency models which I do not think are available yet in the us market.

Any insights would be helpful.