Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When to see a neurosurgeon/orthopaedic doctor

Hello, I found the website online and I have a question about lower back pain. My name is Josh and I am 22 years old from Canada and am an avid powerlifter. I have had an injury for the last few months and I get moderate sharp pain when leaning side to side while arching. It's not serious or excruciating but I also get a mild burning that radiates down to the legs. My chiro and physiotherapist told me to keep working out but I'm worried this won't go away. I feel like I need to take time off and just do cardio or something but my physiotherapist seems to think it is a herniation that will go away eventually if I keep doing the Mckenzie stretching and work my core more, any ideas? I really just want to powerlift again and this injury is just very frustrating. I have tried fixing posture and exercising with perfect form but my sciatic nerve still seems to be affected along with my back. Lately I have been feeling a burning sensation in my buttocks,lower back, arms, and fingers along with feet. Not excruciating but very annoying! I would really like an MRI done. I have been sleeping on the floor lately which seems to potentially help posture. I also feel I may have lumbar lordosis because I have a lower inward curve in the back when laying down and when doing a wall test. I have seen a chiropractor, physiotherapist, doctors, but I think it's time to see an orthopaedic doctor and/or neurosurgeon, what do you think?
Joshua Ward

• I wish id had an MRI done a lot earlier! I wouldn't be sat here now if I had.... just saying. Ironically it was quicker to get an MRI booked and done than it is to get my surgeon to give me 5 mins of his time for a phone call.
    Small herniation L3/L4
    Large herniation L4/L5 causing spinal stenosis and horrible sciatica
  • your body is telling you something...only you know that. Slow down, be more gentle with your body. I did my share over my life and paying now with a broken body.
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • I just have such a problem giving up lifting. I lift light and have tried everything. It's off and on but I really think I do need to stop. Should I do cardio? Or just stop doing everything? I honestly feel hopeless if I can't workout. That might sound bad but I feel like it's all that I have.
    Joshua Ward
  • Doctors can answer that question.
    Generally, if someone has back issues, weight lifting is not recommended, but first you need to find out exactly what is causing the symptoms and an ortho or neuro spine surgeon is the right choice for diagnosing spine issues. They can go over restrictions specifically with you to avoid further problems.