Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just Hello!

ChakalCChakal Posts: 7
edited 09/06/2015 - 10:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

Just a wee bit about me...

I've had a bad lower back for more than 20 years and finally decided to go for surgery last year.

I guess my back was just weak - there was no accident as such. I worked on a factory for 8 years - some do it a life time, but ever since then I have had problems with my back and some years after I was also diagnosed with Dystonia (Painful Leg & Moving Toe).

It's a lonely world having back pain, physical problems in general and chronic pain and it tend to be a bigger struggle for every year I get older. More than anything due to the isolation and lack of understanding.

I had spinal surgery March last year. It was a disc replacement in the lower back. I had been dancing around the surgery for years, as I’ve had a bad back for more than 20 years, but there’s never any certainty with surgery – especially spinal surgery – so I never had the guts to actually go through with it before last year. I finally decided to go through with my surgery because it was getting worse and worse and at the time of surgery I had not had one decent night’s sleep in at least a year. But obviously there were no guaranties!

However, it has by no means been a pleasure ever since the surgery. My back is great - no or minimal pain, but my feet are crazy painful and I can't do much, which kind of is a social killer, as I can't do anything with anyone and I'm kind of struggling to see any hope for the future and feel very lonely.

Not great looking at a possible future where I'm in bed 24/7 and that's all I can do.

I've seen quite a few people saying in here how they are struggling 4 - 6 weeks after surgery. I'm now a year and a half in and I feel I'm getting worse and I have no clue if this is just it.

The last 3 years have been hell and I’m at the end of my rope now – Don’t know what to do! I’m tired, full of pills and yet I still have cramps to the level where I have to be off work for weeks. I’m weak, lack focus and just sleep or lie awake wondering what else the future will bring.

However, it has helped a bit seeing I'm not the only one in pain after spinal surgery. Not that your pain benefit me in any way, but at least I can see that I'm not crazy, weak or stupid...or alone.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• I know and strangers on these boards. My back issue started at 18 and I'm 77, so almost 60 yrs of dealing with my back. I've done so much and continue to manage it all. Oh yes, pain is there but thank goodness I sleep. I take a lot of alternatives to keep my body maybe in less pain....alternatives for pain reduction....and joint helpers.

A friend at bridge yesterday said to me after she asked me how I'm doing....and I know all my friends know how I do as they see me or hear from me....and my issues are worse since hip replacement in 2010.....well, she said why don't I do more major stuff like more drugs and surgery...and I said no way, I'm worse due to the hip job. I'm 77 and want to make it thru the rest of my life as I don't see a reverse in all this. I never did any back surgeries...

As a pretty old soul here, I've been young and now experiencing aging. Thinking back to my parents and aunts/uncles and parents lived into 90's and it was not a breeze for them but they made it....as did the relatives....back in the old days I don't remember back surgeries, unless they were done due to accidents etc....not elective like today. Just reflecting on it all. And all the changes in advanced modern life..
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.