Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for headache thread

With a headache. I'm searching so sorry if this has been asked and answered...

Anyone ever waken with a headache like a college party night the day after level headache? I've got one and sadly didn't have the party! I took my normal medications yesterday. Had horrible sleep filled with dreams of attacks on my legs from snakes and bugs.

I took my gabapentin and hydrocodine on time yesterday and usually they keep the pain at bay. Along with my hangover like headache I had the ice pick pain in legs coupled with the lightning rod spasms upon standing this morn. So I would say it's a bad start..no huge deal, I get them occasionally, sans the headache. But as I reached for my medications, all I could realize is the headache is probably from them, and they are my solution, grrr.

Anyone else? I took 2 ibuprofen and coffee, head is feeling so much better (unlike a real hangover!) just curious if anyone else has had this and do you associate it with medications, or am I missing something?

As I type and re read, realize it could be from the lack of proper sleep.

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Often when I awaken with a headache it's because I slept in a weird position which turned my neck. My neck then causes a headache. My "cure" for these has been using those heat patches, Salonpas, on my neck for about an hour. These lessen the spasm and voila, no more headache! They don't always work but when they do it's almost miraculous!

Good Luck!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • I have those, love them. Will try if it happens again, thank you!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I waited a while before I commented on this.

Headaches. Gee, I think they have become a way of normal life. I get headaches about 4 days a week. Its those same hangover feeling headaches.
    My doctors diagnose that as migraines that are brought on by up level pain levels. I dont know, but I do know having headaches on top of our normal spinal pain is never fun.

When I do get these, I put a cold compress around my head tightly... That seems to help
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • 2dgs4cmpany22dgs4cmpany Posts: 200
    edited 09/09/2015 - 2:39 PM
    You really helped me today on more than one post!

I like ice too, and I know what you mean. The headache this morning dissipated right after I had a bite to eat. Then, this evening came again. I think it's my body reactivity to robaxin and hudrocodine being taken at the same time. I saw on my pain journal I had done that in last two days instead of spreading them. While I like the relief I get in my back, I do think I will go back to spreading them out at a happy medium place, hopefully get relief without the headache.

Thanks for the ice and heat suggestions!
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 484
    Must be the day for headaches, thankfully mine wasn't too bad. Mine seem to be sinus/atmosphere pressure related. If I am woken up before my body wakes up on its own, and I didn't get enough sleep, it does feel like a hangover. When I wake up and my eyes hurt to see any light, and there's those swirling in and out circles, I know it's going to be a day battling a migraine.
    Lately I've been taking sinus pain OTC meds, usually works.

Also have sleep issues.....sleep apnea, but cannot stand to wear cpap mask if having any sinus pain. I use a nasal script spray for inflammation, but not always effective. I also have hypersomnia?....its a form of narcolepsy, not the kind where you fall asleep in the midst of doing something though (that's narcolepsy with cataplexy). Mine is like even if had adequate rem sleep during the night, after getting up I still struggle to stay awake, and if lay down, even after being up and around, I could fall asleep into a deep rem sleep in less than three minutes. So at times I have issues falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up, and staying awake. I was given a script for amphetamines for the narcolepsy before, but didn't like taking it. It helped me feel a bit more connected some days, but if I didn't get enough sleep, I was still tired, meds not like speed (not that I have taken that). I had corrective sleep apnea surgery in 2004, but often wonder if it was worth the pain (had infected tonsils out then too). Had some nasal work done at that time also, and that did improve sinuses. I had some issues for awhile a few years ago, when I found out I had GERD, was affecting my sinues. Take Dexilant for that, but have also gone back to using cpap.
    Talk about sleep....I better get some.
  • Hope you got some rest.

I hear you on sinuses, Flonase is a Florida girls best,friend, that's,for sure!

My hubby had sinus and tonsil surgery in his thirties, and you are correct..so painful. I wanted to cry when I heard him clear his voice! He sounded so pitiful and all you heard was pain. I think that surgery is tougher the older you get.. It did help him. I hope you have relief and thanks for your response.
    Yes I slept, still nagging sinus pressure, but does look like rain on forecast. I do need to practice better sleep habits, as in not stimulating my brain when I should be letting my brain start to wind down. Sometimes reading a book helps, unless it's a really good book and I can't put it down. But when a migraine hits, i need complete darkness, no sounds or smells....usually lasts the day. If bad enough causes vomiting, but lately sinus meds keep that at bay.

I go next week to ENT to check things out, and after that will check with Sleep Clinic about going back on amphetamine. But fist ask my Dr about antidepressant med, may not be doable to take both, and may not even need the antidepressant if my sleep and daytime fatigue gets better. My inconsistent personal care habits I'm sure are a contributive factor.
    I was doing fairly well trying to get to sleep earlier tonight, but here I am again. Sometimes I feel like Princess and the Pea....since my surgery I can't stand the slightest feel of a crumpled sheet or blanket, even a fraction of an inch tucked under, or touching my calf, thigh, and anything above. Thankfully, that sensation has lessened to some degree, but I will be glad when it hits the road.
    Tonight I'm also feeling like Goldilocks... I just picked up a different cpap face mask (covers both nose and mouth). My other one was feeling too small, tight around bridge of nose, further irritating pressured sinuses. Now this larger one feels too big! When will things ever feel just right? Well, actually earlier today I did have a just right experience. When I was at my counseling appointment...I sat down in the chair, and to my amazement, that chair support made my back feel perfect, felt like it was made for me! I asked if that was a new chair, because last month I wasn't sitting so well at her office. She said it was the same chair, and she told me she noticed I was walking and sitting with more ease since there last. But, unfortunately she didn't send me home with my new chair love. Now that I know I could be feeling better while sitting, I'm going to hunt my own down. It looked like an office chair that has that protruding/flexing lumbar support.
  • 2dgs4cmpany22dgs4cmpany Posts: 200
    edited 09/10/2015 - 11:39 PM
    Finally! Wishing you rest and good night or day sleep!

Oh you made me laugh! I hope you find your chair. Since this whole fun adventure of immobility I have become a fantastic online shopper..who knew? I never was one for it, but it will be the ticket for you to find that chair! I would Google the chair name if possible. Hope you find it.

Wishing you rip van winkle sleep...but not for 100 years, I would miss you!
    I know....I'm bad, but hopefully going to get better. I blame it all on my mom....she was such a night owl!

Seriously though, I do follow in her footsteps somewhat. We have both worked different shifts, for her third and second shift, myself more second and first. I think not always working first shift messes up the normal way a body was meant to be.

Working as custodian for almost two decades, 2nd shift during school, then 1st shift during winter, spring, and summer breaks, kind of messes me up. Working 1st shift is harder on me though, because of the narcolepsy (excessive daytime sleepiness).

I had an early morning sleep Dr appt. today (how ironic is that?)....getting ready to go, thinking I would feel so much better if I'd gotten more sleep.... should start listening to "Penning M" before they ban me at certain times of the day.

Till tomorrow ; )