Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Sept 28 New Symptom?

I put it off for a year but now I have to have a 3 level C3-7 fusion. It is obvious from my MRI that my spine is a "train wreck" in that area. This past month my symptoms have gotten worse...burning pain from my neck do my arms, my arms and hands just go numb at work (I have a desk job) and it is difficult to even work the mouse on my computer, separate papers, pick things up. But now a weird issue. The skin on my lower back hurts like heck to touch. I have no bruise. It is not muscle pain and it is not lower back pain from my spine (and I have no known issues that far down my spine). It is just my skin that hurts to touch or to lie on in bed. Never had this before. Has anyone else ever had this issue as a result of spinal compression? (My spinal cord is severely compressed in my neck.)

• Hi Lori Jo,

I'm sorry for your pain iand wish you a safe surgery, great healing, and a return to health. I do not know what could be causing your pain in your back, but I have had that same feeling on my butt, on the left side low on side, same on right. The skin could not be touched. Now I do have my own train wreck in my low back and have fusion scheduled 10/21, I have assumed the pain is nerve and associated to my back and will be helped with my surgery.

I have had a new symptom not related to my L5/S1 issue. My hands go numb sporadically during the day, at night. I told my pt and he said that would be neck related, not lower lumbar. I never had a neck condition or problem to my knowledge. Honestly, since it doesn't happen all the time, I have decided to ignore it. I don't know if I am being stupid to not have it looked into, but I feel I have enough going on with low back.

If you are in extreme discomfort, and it were me..I would call my general physician and get appt. I would remind the general physician that I'm scheduled for surgery and can't take most medicine to treat. I would want them to be aware and decide if surgeon needs to know or if it should be dealt with after surgery.

My hand issue is sporadic, so I feel okay waiting to talk to doctor. You will have to decide. I do hope this helps and you and wish you a healing surgery and that you find comfort.
  • We are opposites...yet the same!! I hope your surgery and recovery go well also. My surgeon told me at my pre-surgery appt. that they do not "go looking for trouble" in other areas of your spine unless there is dire need to investigate lol. I have only had an MRI of my neck but have not needed one of my lower spine. I hope I never do! I am glad your hand numbness is sporadic and I hope it resolves itself. It is very disconcerting when that happens to me.
  • I had C-spine surgery at 2 levels due to Myelopathy. My symptoms worsened before they started to improve and I did get new neurological also. Is your numbness positional as in if you get up walk around does it change. You need to take it easy and give things time to settle down. Don't know about the back symptom, but when it comes to your spine it is all connected and if one area is off others areas can follow.