Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Total disc replacement on C6-7

Yesterday morning I had a cervical disc replaced on my C6-7. It was successful and easy going. I have no pain and ate dinner right away that afternoon. My throat was slightly sore during the night . I Sucked on a couple throat lozenges and took pain killer Hydrocodone. I'm very happy I had the operation. I had been trying to fix it on my own after chiro, pt and cervical epidural. I had a substantial hernia that was not going to move or dissolve on its own and was causing radiculapathy down my right arm and numb index finger. I wish I hadn't waited 3 months to do this . Highly recommend the disc replacement surgery. It is the day after surgery and I'm up and walking around at home. I can't believe that my throat is not sore anymore.

• edited 09/26/2015 - 6:06 AM

Hi. Im facing ACDF soon and scared to death!! I had a previous surgery that went so wrong....nothing to go with spine. Mine is at C4-5 bulging disc and bone spurs pressing on arm nerves with excruciating pain. My question is how does it feel to have part of your neck that can't move? So glad to hear that your surgery came out so well. So many n here are still in pain after. I really don't want fusion, I want an artificial disc but no one seems to want to do that. With my spinal stenosis a DDD I will become one big fusion eventually.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderators, savage
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    edited 09/26/2015 - 3:38 AM
    usually ADR is contraindicated for facet degeneration, so if you have these going on it may be why the choose to fuse. But cervical ADR offers some pretty amazing things and should always be researched to just make sure doctor isn't just fusing you because he does not do ADR surgury
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Hi Debros-wright. I had a second opinion with a neurosurgeon and he said he would only do a ACDF. I'm glad I had a second opinion but went with a very knowledgeable Orthopedic Surgeon that mainly works on necks. Maybe try to get a second opinion too. Otherwise, I feel your pain and remember how excruciating it can be. I'm 50 years old and am very relieved and am looking forward to being pain free. You will also feel much better with an ACDF too. Don't worry