Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Long Till Not At Risk For Complications?Like Blood Clots/Embolisms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok so maybe this is a really dumb question but im scared of just had an emergency microdesectomy in Lumbar Spine a less then three weeks ago.An i had no complications that i know of like thrombie embolisms or blood clots in the legs etc But im having this really really strange eye pain that wont go away i dont see how it could be related to surgery but somebody not a dr told me it could be a embolism in the eye from surgery.Im getting headaches aswell and im severely dizzy when i stand up.I know i must sound insane but how long till you dont have to worry that you will get blood clots or embolisms from the surgery?I thought i wouldnt have to worry about that at almost three weeks post op!Do you think im ok?Could these symtoms be related to surgery?If anyone has any information an can help ease my fears id appreciated it so much!

• I am no doctor so I can't answer your question, but if you are suffering a headache and dizzeness and this is out of the ordinary for you then I suggest that you go and see a doctor as soon as you can, or even go to ER if you are really concerned. Overreacting is always better than underreacting in such situations I think.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I appreciate your replies but no way am i going to the ER saying ive had Lumbar Spine Surgery a few weeks ago an now my eye hurts really bad an i think i may have a blood clot or thrombie embolism lol Even i know that sounds completly silly they would laugh at me and never take me seriously.I really just wanted to know if it was possible.My eye is killing me it hurts like behind the eye.Ive never felt anything like it before.Im hopeing its compleltly unrelated to surgery it better be anyway or else ill probably die soon.Thanks again!Sorry to hear about your knee btw hope its all better now!
  • Pink, since you won't go to the ER, I would suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doc ASAP just to be checked out. If it is something that is worrying you, it is worth getting checked out. You only have one body, so you need to be proactive in taking care of it.

By the way, I developed a massive blood clot in my leg at around 6 weeks post op, and then a week later was back in hospital with pulmonary embolisms. Blood clots are nothing to play around with.

This pressure behind your eye and dizziness may be something totally unrelated to your back surgery, or it could be a side-effect of some of the meds you are taking. Please see a doctor if you are still concerned about it. Good luck to you. ;)

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Not sure if your health insurance has a medical advice line or not...but you could look on the back of your health card to see if they do.

If so, that is a nice, semi-anonymous way of asking what you feel is a "silly" question. They could advise you if it could be surgery related or how serious it may or may not be.

If you don't have a health advice line...how about just a phone call to your docs office to ask a nurse. If it is something to not be concerned about, they will tell you and put you at ease.

I definitely wouldn't mess around with it.
  • Hi Pink,

I can understand your reservations about going to the ER with this, but why not call them and speak to a nurse or even call your surgeon's office just to talk it through? In my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry. There may well be a completely different explanation for the eye pain but surely you're better to get it checked out? I have no idea what the problem is, but where my eyes are concerned I'm of the opinion that I only have 2 of em and I don't want to lose either!

Please just call someone to put your own mind at rest, or at the very least go and see your PCP. Good luck, Spicey