Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I was formally dismissed from work this morning.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi All,

Sorry have not been around here lately but have had a lot of things to deal with. I had to attend a formal hearing at work this morning and they dismissed me. They were not prepared to wait until September to see if my next set of injections would work. I am so upset and angry as I feel so let down by the NHS on a whole and don't feel supported. My union rep says that we have a v good case for appeal for a number of reasons which I will explain later - right now my head is spinning and I'm unsure of what to do.

I feel that my life is falling apart and it's all because of the surgeon who operated on the wrong disc which has completley messed up my spine and my life.

I'm trying to stay positive but today will be a down day until I figure out what I'm doing next. I'm only 32 and feel that my career was terminated before it really got going.

I'm going to lie on the sofa and eat ice cream and watch some dvds and have a good cry. I don't feel like doing anything else.

• Hey hon, having lost 2 jobs before because of my disabilities, I feel for you...If you need anything, just to vent, etc., let me know! I'm also 32, or will be next wednesday, and it's frustrating! I have so much education and I'm working as a secretary right now...So I will send you a *hug* and hope you feel better! Keep us updated, okay?
  • hi claudia,
    paula here,so sorry to here your news,i havent been around much as im at the caravan i will be home on 18thjuly for the day and we will all have a good catch up until then take it easy girl and my feeling are with you girl.

• sweetie , I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. If there is anything at all that I can do to help then please just let me know and I will be there for you. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing....take care hon , Miki
  • Hi C,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through this. You know that I went through this recently myself, and I know that I will never work in that field again. But I think I've said you before, try to focus on getting yourself as well as you can before you worry about work. I've had to force myself to do exactly that, and it's not easy. Right now I feel like I've lost everything but there is only one way to go from here isn't there?

Good luck with your appeal if you decide to go ahead with it. It will take a lot of energy to go through with it so stock up on that ice-cream!

You know where I am if you ever need to talk - just pm or email me. Hugs, Spicey
  • good old NHS i don t think so,im right with u i ve been off work now since december and fighting to get back but the good old nhs is not playing ball,at the end opf the day if realised im only a number and if they play ball im going 2 take legal advise.i know how you re feeling because im aware it could happen 2 me 2
  • claudia...i was 47 when i was fired, had 30 years of a great career. i know exactly how you feel. i had never ever been fired, and i was hurt while working, so it was just that much more of an insult. just know that what goes around comes around, and stand up for your rights...
  • Sorry to hear about your trouble with the NHS.Again!
    But it's sure nice to see you back!!Hope the ice cream and DVD's were good.There was this signature on the old site:
    "Something good must happen,it's called statistic."Don't give up!

Cheers.G. 8)
  • Thank you all for your lovely posts and kind words. I truly appreciate them and it does help to know that there are so many people out there who care and want to offer support!I am feeling a bit better about all of this now than I did on Tuesday. I don't want to be beaten by this and am trying to be strong but it is hard! Over the past 12 months it's been 2 steps forward, 3 steps back and unfortunatley for me it ain't over yet!

I've worked so hard over the past 12 years to get yo where I was in my career and to think that they can just take it away from me is horrible. I've been let down completley by the NHS both as a patient and an employee. The only good thing that has come out of this is that I am not legally bound by contract anymore to keep quiet about the goings on in the NHS and I am ready to spill the beans! Watch this space.....

My union rep told me to think of this as the beginning of my future and to perhaps give the odd lecture in colleges to nurses. Spicey, you're right when you say things can only get better. Lets hope that they start happening soon. Do you know what you'd like to do next?

I think I need to take a while out and get over this hurdle before thinking about my next move plus on Thursday I'm back into hospital for more epidural injections and to burn the nerves! OUCH!!! if this doesn't work and especially as my symptoms are getting worse, it could be a third op for me but fingers crossed it won't come to that.

Thanks again for your posts.

• :) you have always been such a light for other spineys. sending messages of hope and cheer. i hope this is only a temporary detour and you will see the good that can happen for you. this is only one small side. there are many others. see the light when it shines your way. best of luck to you! Jenny :)
  • Hi C,

Yes, I've been thinking about a few things that might be an option, but for the time being it's completely pointless. I know that I'm not going to improve without more surgery, but the current surgeon opinion I've had only gives me a 50% chance of improvement after the surgery. If it doesn't improve it, then things will get worse (heaven forbid!) So, until I know what surgery I'm having and what kind of restrictions I will be left with afterwards, it's pointless me getting my hopes up about anything work-wise.

Good luck with the injections, I hate those so much! I really do hope things improve for you, you have been through quite enough already! Hugs, Spicey
  • I got my formal letter today saying I'm dismissed because of my sickness. It was so cold. It makes me sick because at the end they put 'we would welcome applications from you in the future when you're ready to return to work'!!!! Yeah right, as if after what they've put me through.

It's horrible to think that we are just a number and can be replaced at a moments notice and that although you worked your ass off, your employers really don't give a *$&£ about you! I did get a couple of lovely emails from some consultant surgeons that I worked with - at least they appreciated all my hard work!

I can appeal this and I will as they are being unreasonable. It's not my fault the idiot surgeon opreated on and removed the wrong disc which has led to numerous complications! All this has spurred me on and I have finally written my letters of complaint and sent them off - 5 A4 pages! It's like a novel at this stage and it's still not complete.

• It's horrible to think that we are just a number and can be replaced at a moments notice and that although you worked your ass off, your employers really don't give a *$&£ about you!

This is the unfortunate reality of most workplaces. Any perceived weakness is seized upon by opportunists looking to advance their own agenda.

I don't know what to say other than stating that work is a competitive endeavor requiring a certain level of performance. If you cross a certain threshold, sure, dismissal ensues. It makes it hard when you are in pain.

Here in Silicon Valley, most employment is legally at will. You can get dismissed for any reason. Nobody needs to tell you anything.

Ironically, during my worst pain after surgery, I actually thrived and got promoted in the long run, after some initial difficulties. Now that I healed, I got really ambitious and had a falling out with a senior management...to the point where we agreed to part ways.

But, I now have excellent opportunities, including starting a new business. There are reasons for these things. Look for the silver linings. They're often there.

Cheers, Mate
  • So when are you going to get your break C? It's got to be round the corner soon.

I hope your union rep is robust enough to fight this all the way for you. It's going to be another tough time of waiting for letters, meetings, letters, phone calls, meetings .......... well you get the picture. Don't give up C, come on and sound off any time you like, we are all here for you.

• Hi I just came across your posting and am so sorry for you job loss. So many of us have lost our jobs that we love and somehow seem to define us. Know with out work we are trying to find out how to fill the void. It is so sad that we are so replaceable, yet we give 200 % and they can just make a snap disicion in a second. It's not fair and I wish I could just give you a big hug.

I lost 2 jobs. The one that I got injured and and a coroporate job. I remember the day my corporate job called me and told me is had to be let go... I'm so mad at myself because I cried over the phone. But I couldn't help it.

Please just know even though we are out in cyber land we do understand how much this hurts and how the uncertanty of the future is enough to cause an anxiety attack.

My prayers are with you and your family that God will provide for you.

Hang in there ok? Pebbles
  • Good day guys, i'm new in this chart room but i hope to a great time. have a blessed day all.
  • I appealed mine with the union and before arbitration I settled for training in the same dept. with them paying for the training. If you have senority they can't let you go before a junior. I wouldn't ever bump anyone but I'll certainly train to get a better position. I'm sorry to hear it's not easy being let go. Management better get with the program on how to retain and retrain. It really shakes you up. It's all about business to them. I blame the union because they don't train management before you have to go through arbitration and mediation. It's hard to want to stay after they try to let you go. I hope you're feeling better you don't deserve this. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN