Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What type of pain meds are working for chronic Sciatica?

Good Morning !! Newbie in here of 3 days...so many questions I hope someone can enlighten me here ! Have had fusion in neck and discectomy twice L-5 S-1...Since 2011....I have sciatica constantly and this time I am confined to bed..Going on 12 weeks and no relief in sight..Cannot stand..sit..only sleep on stomach. I had cortisteroid epidurals last Tuesday on L-4/L-5..L-5/S-1...and S-1....Made the pain worse..Starting in the middle of Left butt cheek all the way down to my toes..Burning, numb, pins and needles, aching, sharp pains, spasms, and constant fireworks. From the minute I put foot on floor to go the restroom I am done for the day. I am now falling like before because leg is so out of whack!! They are giving me..ibuprofen..gabapentin and hydrocodone 5/325....NOTHING helps. .I exercise what I can in bed that I can tolerate..but to no avail..sometimes I think it makes it worse..I cannot take this pain much longer.. What a debilitating pain and I see no end in sight!! I would like to be able to walk or stand or go to the restroom just once without pain.. This has been going on since February and constant with no relief since July 4th.. Can anyone recommend anything else I can do?? Are their different pain meds I can take that will relieve it just an iota?? Thank you so much for your input !!

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    edited 09/28/2015 - 8:52 AM
    Welcome Mickey! Hopefully we can be a source of encouragement, it sounds like you are in great need of relief. I agonizing can only image, for my sciatic pain came with periods of remission; not working , or doing things causing aggravation to nerve. Like you, I found no relief from pain meds, or particular exercises.

I did try Cymbalta, which I think helped me mentally deal with the pain, but unfortunately the med caused high blood pressure, and had to stop using.

For myself, the pain had increased to where I had to address with surgery; spondylolisthesis, L4-5. I had a lot of arthritis in the damaged disk also, so that was removed and replaced... Fusion from backside.

I believe the surgery was successful, no more sciatic pain. I'm six months post op, still not back to work, and my body is still adjusting to hardware. I am thankful I'm not where I used to be, but not to where I'd like to be either....but still, in a much better place.

Someone else with more experience than I will most likely be of more help....I can only say to keep working with DR's, and keep trying to get your pain managed. I feel for you, I know it must be awful.
  • chekreynaldocchekreynaldo Posts: 4
    edited 09/29/2015 - 10:46 AM
    Hi mickey! Me too having a sciatica is a very problematic condition . Just be positive and dont get too depressed. I am currently under chiropractic care and i think my case is improving because the pain has lessen and my lower back stiffness has gone. But still the pain in my left hip, buttock down to my calf is still there but not painful as the first time i felt it. Its been 7 weeks already and im confident i will be better for another 3 weeks :) just keep the faith. Be positive! Relax and cheer up :)

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Have you been in touch with your doctor?
    He would need to know how you are responding, or not responding, to the medication treatment.
    And to let him know your symptoms, including how your pain is unbearable.

You mentioned the exercises that you manage while in bed are not helping and may be causing more pain.
    All that you communicate with doctor will help him to best treat you.
    Doctor can best access, guide and or reassure you!

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History