Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First Post - A Positive Pain Management Experience

Junebug44JJunebug44 Posts: 7
edited 09/29/2015 - 7:58 PM in Pain Medications
Hello to all. I have been a long time reader but this is my first post. As I have found that reading all of your posts has been greatly helpful to me in so many ways, my hope is that perhaps sharing my experience will too, be of help. I am a married, 44 year old mother of two and my current diagnosis is Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. My back problems began as a child with three bad injuries; the first was a bad fall which fractured my vertebrae, the second was a fall from a horse and the third was an automobile accident. I managed the pain on my own until my 30's and after the usual round of doctors, PT, heat, ice, mild prescriptions as needed, MRI revealed isthmic spondylolisthesis at a grade 4 with spinal stenosis. In 2010 I had an anterior/posterior lumbar fusion at L5-S1 with rods, screws, cage, bone graft. The surgery went well, recovery was long but other than the standard nerve damage issues that I was advised to anticipate, no serious issues other than I still had significant pain. Fast forward to 2013 when I couldn't manage my own pain and primary care referred me to Neurosurgeon, more tests etc., discovered herniated disk above the fusion, arthritis and the cause of my leg pain was stemming from nerve damage due to conjoined nerve root that couldn't be helped from the surgery; diagnosed as Failed Back Surgery Syndrome and referred me to PM.
I was very skeptical to work with pain management clinics as the State that I live in was (is?) notorious for Pill Mills and I didn't know what to expect. What I have found was a wonderful team of caring Doctors, nurses and administrators that have helped me successfully manage my pain. I am currently taking 10mg Percocet @ 4x day and 20 mg Oxycontin @ 2x day. Various muscle relaxers have been prescribed but I don't tolerate them very well. Lyrica is not an option - prescribed after surgery and caused severe depression. With that being said, I don't solely rely on medication, I include my meds as part of my program including yoga, meditation, weekly massage therapy, aqua therapy, a pain log, tens unit, etc. I have had many steroid injections, some help my leg, none help my back pain. I have developed a respectful relationship with my PM group by being honest and following the doctors instructions to the letter also by being open to other recommended medications or treatments. I also consider being part of this group to be a valuable part of my pain management program as well, thank you!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage
advertisement

Comments

• Glad that you had a positive experience with pm.
    Many of us do as well. Mine have been great over the years when it comes to managing my pain, alternative therapies and adjusting things when I need them without any issues.
    Thank you for your positive post.