Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Never Say OK to "Just Do As I Say"

While preparing to sign up for Medicare, I've been getting so many mailings, pamphlets, etc. I came across one the other day that had a section that I felt was worth repeating here.

Bottom Line's Medical supplement[/u]

A 75 year old woman who was diagnosed with cancer had appointment with an oncologist. The doctor looked at her tests in five minutes later, says "Just do as I say" and then turned to leave the room. The woman protested "Wait - I have some questions" The doctor turn around and said "I told you not to worry" and left the room.
Sadly, this experiences is not unique.

But here are some actions you can take to avoid situations like that

A Partnership
A successful relationship with your doctors begins with an equal partnership. That means that you should be honest, courteous and respectful with each other. Talk about this up-front with your doctor. You may something like, Doctor, I'm relying on your best advice, but I will have to make the ultimate decision about what to do.

Enough Time
Sure doctors are busy, but you have the right to have your questions answered without feeling rushed. Most people know to bring a list of questions to the doctor visit, but I would advise that you give your list to the doctor [u]as soon as he/she enters This lets him know that you would like to discuss the questions before the appointment ends. That discussion should be kept to around 10 minutes.

Easy access to information
Most doctors should provide their patients with documentation, pamphlets, DVDs, Website addresses, etc describing your condition and any procedure that may be performed.

Timely responses to telephone calls
Your doctor should respond to non emergency telephone calls within 24 hours. As your doctor for the best time of day to call if you have a question. Most doctors set aside a certain time each day for callbacks to patients. But keep in mind, if you are the type the call every other day with questions, you might not get those timely responses. At that point, you would need to schedule an appointment.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com