Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks out and still on percocet every 8 hours which still isn't enough for the pain

so I know everybody heals differently but my hematologist's nurse seemed to think that I shouldn't still be on pain medication for an ACDF of two levels 8 weeks ago........but I am...and I need it because my neck hurts so much that I am still icing and heating it... icing seems to help more......

I did sweep the kitchen floor yesterday and then wet swiffer it....and I have walked my dog and cleaned up dog poop and pee, etc....and I did a load of laundry..... but that was all.. the rest of the day I lay around and watched t.v.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    8 weeks is on the heavy side in terms of still needing pain medications on a regular basis.

This is of course not even knowing what medication you are on and the dosage/times.

Ice/Heat is sometimes going to be your best friend for a while.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • iI am on percocet 10/325 every eight hours...just one pill.... I am a chronic pain paitent who is usually on morphine but morphine doesn't seem to help the after surgery pain as well as regular percocet....... I've been icing and heating like crazy........all night practically...... I can barely lie on my side stilll. I was in a neck brace for four weeks a hard brace........ They haven't done any x-rays since the surgery date to make sure the hardware is in the right place......

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 10/02/2015 - 2:33 AM
    One of the worst things, from my own experience, is sweeping and mopping the floor. Any repetitive movement with the upper body. Laundry for me is a big no-no as well, because of all the upper body use it has, and that wet laundry is really heavy.
    Personally, I would back off of routine housework like that until your pain subsides.
    I'm 10 months out and it is KILLING ME not to scrub my kitchen floor. Oh my. It's been mopped by my husband, but not scrubbed. Oh well, I just don't invite friends over that judge ;).

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• thanks for the comment.. i may be overdoing it... doing the grocery shopping.... having them load things lightly but still having to carry everything in... even my husband's two liter sodas...... which i carry one at a time but it still hurts and i am really pissed at him right now..... and he told me to do the sweeping and swiffering..... swiffering isn't quite as hard as traditional mop and bucket mopping but it still isn't easy.. the floor doesn't look great and i was tempted to scrub up some of the spinach that had dried to the floor from where i make my smoothies....but i didn't.......

anyway it is too bad for me if i am overdoing it because my husband thinks i'm not doing enough as it is........

i do all the driving...all the grocery shopping.......make his coffee....make my own smoothies and now his since he went vegetarian today to try to lose weight....... i make four to five smoothies just for myself a day and add protein.... which leads me to something i heard in the waiting room at my pain doctor today.. i was told that if you are vegan like i am you HAVE to eat meat to fuse.... it just won't happen.. and i can't eat meat... i have been vegetarian for 16 years and vegan for a few months.. raw vegan actually...... i use raw protein like pea protein and some other kinds but i am not sure if i am fusing and now i am worried.......

anyway if i am overdoing it it is just too bad for me.......
    always danger in over doing any thing.

For one, you risk a potential for a new and perhaps more serious problem

That is why you have sets of rules and regulations.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    What restrictions does your doctor have you on? You need to get his instructions & follow them. Show your husband what you are & are not allowed to do.
    I agree with DWynnB. Vacuuming & that repetitive movement is not good on your neck.
    You really are risking doing damage.
    Have you tried using a tens unit? Mine is portable. I can use mine & go walk around in the yard.
  • But my doctor's office had been really bad at telling me what I could and could not do.
    Its not about the doctors office.
    You need to speak up for yourself. You need to KNOW all the restrictions and limitations. If it is hard getting that from your doctor's office, then try again and again and again.
    You might only be hurting yourself in the long run. Doing too much now is almost like setting a date for a future surgery.
    You NEED to stay within all the limits that you were given.

Every hospital HAS to provide their discharged patients with a list of do's and don'ts

You do too much and you might hurt.. but at that point, its something that you would be doing to yourself. This is within your control.
    Things we can't control are different.
  • jamesgirllljjamesgirlll Posts: 115
    edited 10/02/2015 - 12:05 PM
    I had my surgery at an ambulatory surgery center and was given minimal instructions.

Mostly like ice off and on every twenty minutes for the first twenty four hours and stuff like that.

Honestly it has been like pulling teeth to get answers. And the answers change depending on who I talk to and I haven't seen my actual surgeon since the surgery.

As far as I know I am not doing anything that is restricted.

• youngd24yyoungd24 Posts: 3
    edited 10/09/2015 - 8:53 AM
    I'm new around here but can say what my experience was. I had a 2 level, C3-C5, ACDF in November of 2011. I returned to work around 6 weeks post-op which was about 2 weeks too soon. I went to around 3 months post-op on Norco 10/325, after that just Tylenol ES for another 6 months or so. It does take a long time for the pain to go away, it did in my case. But on a bright note I haven't had neck pain since, in fact I went almost 2 years pain free before my latest lumbar issue. Just had that fused (L5-S1) and I'm 8 weeks post-op now and not taking anything but Tylenol but it hurts. Ice and walk, ice and walk (and more ice and walk)...
  • Sounds like maybe both of us were doing too much and contributing to our neck pain. You going back to work and me trying to do more around the house.

Thanks for helping me not feel so all alone and I hope your new fusion fuses quickly.