Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in Butt area and lower back

I am looking for anyone who experiences severe pain in their buttock when they try to straighten their leg out and any ideas what you might think is the cause. For some time I have been seeing Doctor's to get a Diagnose for what is going on with no success.
There is also pain, burning, aching pain in the hip, butt, groin, leg down to my knee. I did some research on here and found a lot of great stuff but I cannot seem to get a clear picture.
Had a MRI and X-rays of the lower back, hip and pelvis showed DDD, cysts, arthritis, bulges, balance issues (the last Doctor said none of that is causing my problems) but nothing shows any problems with the SI joint. This is all on the left side up to a couple of weeks ago and now is moving to the right side. I am scared at this point with doing anything creating pain from hell.
I know you can't help me diagnose it but I sure would like maybe if someone has had these same type of problems what did they end up finding out.
This Forum is my hope since I have seen a lot of Doctor's (4 guess that is a lot) injections, therapy, swimming with no relief. I use a lot of ice and pain medication to get some relief. My hope is to find ways I can lessen the pain (not pain medications), I have and continue to use all the wonderful tool listed on here and from others suggestions. Also so many medications I can no longer take many due to the condition my stomach is in now.
I have never had surgery or dealt with so much of the things others do, so I am not too much support for others and pain makes it hard to focus or think so to ask you for help even makes me feel guilty.
I pray for you all and hope things are bearable if not good for you today.
Thanks for all of you and what you do to help.
Take care Sherri

• shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    Your problems sound an awful lot like mine, low back pain, buttock pain, leg pain, nerve pain, neck pain, knee pain, now at least 4 years, no lasting relief, epidurals don't seem to make much difference once the anesthetic wears off. I had 5 ESI's last year in lumbar spine, the most relief I have had was from massage and a therapist stretching the muscles that were kinked in hard knots. It is all temporary relief and all about finding some way to be able to partake in life again. Bulging disc, arthritis, cyst, can and very often cause awful pain. As you've read on this forum, spinal pain is a whole new ball game. I have a great spine & pain Dr. , and a wonderful PA (she has been trying so hard to help me!)and a primary care DR, OD that works with me diligently, they honestly try to stop the pain or at least get me to a place that I can focus on something other than the pain. What does your Drs. think the pain is comin from then? You have diagnostic proof that things are not healthy in your spine. Arthritis alone can cause major problems. Have you sought a neurosurgeon ? Don't give up, its not in your head you hurt, I've got "mild "Arthritis in my knees , which feel at times like a sledge hammer has hit my knee caps, night time seems to be the worst time. Sometimes it takes years to figure out the pain generator,. Keep looking for the answers! If the drs don't think the spine anomalies are causing the problems, ask them to help find what is then. Pain that goes on and on can become chronic pain which in its self is harder to treat.
    I do hope that you can get some relief soon! This site has really helped me when I get discouraged. Hope to hear from you again ! Let us know how things are going.
    S. Houston
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    edited 10/01/2015 - 2:14 PM
    Hey there Hope3....sciatic pain can be so treacherous. Not knowing where your disk bulges are, it's hard for me to guess, but it sure sounds like a spinal issue, makes me wonder why Dr is saying its not related.

I didn't/don't have the groin pain though. As far as hip, was just the right side area, deep in buttock pain, then down to knee, then down to foot by end of day.
    That is gone now since fusion surgery, but to do leg stretches laying down, I have to be careful still..or the pain will start in buttock area., so I just back off. My hamstring muscles have been so tight these past few years, I don't know if I'll ever get them to loosen up. When laying on back doing the leg exercises, I have to make sure at least one leg is bent up, so I'm not stretching one with the other laying flat down....that puts too much pressure on my back.

Have you had your bone density checked? I did some years ago, showing early osteopenia?....hopefully my bones don't start becoming brittle.

I didn't have success with drugs for the pain either, other than Cymbalta, really helped with not getting depressed over the pain...but raised my blood pressure, had to quit....sometimes I wished I could go back on it, at least for awhile, life is still in adjustment period....the usual.....not being able to work, money, having to move again in the near future, family...but I can only take one day at a time, no sense in letting myself getting upset over things that may not happen like I fear they might. Not being in pain like I was though, does help me focus the positive.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going back to working my physically demanding job, I'm not wanting to risk having to have more surgeries. I think I possibly may have some priformus?, that muscle deep in buttocks, and some foot muscle issue from foot bunions. The bunions don't hurt, but I've had them long enough to where it may be having effect on structure. My job requires walking at least five to ten miles a night on hard flooring, so.....I'm ready to find something easier on my body.

Hope you find some answers soon, and plenty of relief.
  • Thanks so much for your reply I go through days where writing or thinking is tough so I have not got back to say thanks.
    I read you have dealt with your pain which is similar to mine for four years, I am a baby I guess cause I think of having to deal with this type of pain for another month too much. I had chronic pain in my upper and lower back plus sciatic and Fibro. (not sure or this) for over 20 years but about two years ago it gradually changed to this crap now. I think the most devastating is not being able to bend or walk much at all that pretty much takes it all away plus the constant hell pain. I took a lot of meds back before this started and don't want to get back to that level, so I am trying to get to the bottom of this without covering the reasons up with meds. I might give in though it is getting to be too much.
    The Doctor's don't give me any ideas or direction that is the frustrating part. I can go in there all prepared with information of the symptoms just trying to help out and they won't listen and I am respectful. I have read so much and really thought it was the SI or something in that area but shots did not help or TP, swimming (if the water is cold I can hardly take it) and exercising is hell. I walk as much as I can I just worry not doing anything is bad. How about you are you able to do much of anything? That worries the most they tell you no to create pain but without doing something we will be worse off.
    I haven't seen a Neurosurgeon I just recently took it upon myself to see a Neurologist since I have balance issues on the bad side and am waiting for a MRI result. She said my pain could be due to a stroke have you ever heard of that? Is that who helped you the most?
    The thing is in all the tests nothing looks like it is touching the nerves or spine. My spine like I said has several issues but nothing like you and so many have had wrong. I feel guilty a lot for even complaining or asking for help.
    I forget what is your issues and is your pain controlled and I am so glad you have found a great group to help you that is wonderful and my wish.
    I am 67 and still have a lot of stuff I would like to do like cook, clean (yuck), family stuff, smile, walk, fish on and on.
    I agree this place is the best I get so much from here and when things are at there worse I get great support from so many like you.
    Thanks again
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 752
    edited 10/05/2015 - 1:29 PM
    Took me a few days to reply and thank you for writing me I appreciate it so much.
    I have sciatic pain and it is bad news for sure but this is a new pain and effects different parts of the body in a new way. I had pain for 20 years but it was mostly managed with watching what I did and all the tools. But like I said two years ago it started to get worse and continues too making my life hell and to me worthless. I feel like such a baby cause I know you and so many more suffer so much worse than me and at such young ages it breaks my heart. But I do need help even just to read or hear from someone helps me a lot so I truly am grateful.
    I read the MRI's and X-rays but there is not really anything that says it is touching the nerves or spine except arthritis and the cysts so not sure.
    I know I read so so much and it does seem it is spine related but they just don't want to figure it out. I thought for sure it was the SI joint and still do from what I have researched but the injections I had did not help so I guess that means it isn't.
    Yes deep in the butt if anyone touches those areas I want to scream and my lower back is just getting worse. You say you have to be careful with the leg stretches are you able to straighten your legs out without terrible pain in the butt area? My problems are on the left side and now moving to the right which scares the heck out of me.
    You have way worse having surgery I have never and would be so afraid but would do it to get this better even a little.
    How do you control your pain I hope the Doctors are able to help you with that. I had bad side effects from Cymbalta too and even tried it three times but no luck. Pain can eat you a live if it gets bad enough, I have refused to go higher on meds just don't want to cover the pain up without knowing what it is and maybe other ways to control it. But I may have to it is getting out of my control which makes me extremely sad and hopeless.
    I don't blame you for being careful and not wanting surgery again did it help? Yes you should find something easier if possible to do that is a lot of walking to do if it is going to cause added problems.
    Yes I did have a bone density test and my bones are thinning but he said not bad. It is scary when that starts but I am older and it is expected I try to eat healthy.
    Sorry this is so long but I get going on and I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your help it means a lot.
    Please take care of yourself
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    We can cry if we want to! Love the Beach Boys....just wished I could twist like I used to....I'll have to make myself a dance lazy-susan kind of thing, will feel and look like I'm twisting, minus the actual twisting....I'll adapt somehow.

You sound to be in much more pain than I. My fusion was a success, though my mobility is still limited. Think that will improve in time, but I'll still have restricted/limited movement....without pain, so I'm loving that part.

I'm still not able to bend either leg straight up while laying....just too tight through hamstring area, then will start pain to radiate down into buttock. Hopefully, with daily movement I will improve, taking a long time, but I see improvement, ever so little, but it's there.

I'm glad I had the fusion surgery, but I think I'm having some issues with the sacrum area also, not sure if it's just my body adjusting to the "new" me, or possibly may have something going on below fusion area. I tend to be hypersensitive when it comes to my discomfort, so it could just be something I'll get used to and not notice in time, although, it seems not to be improving with time. I can do something's early in my day, but later on in the day, my body won't cooperate.

I appreciate conversing with you too...I pray you'll find some answers to handle your pain, without drugs can be best, but I've never been able to endure pain for great lengths without seeking relief from meds, in the hopes to bear through it till I could do, or find a better alternative in pain relief, or healing. But arthritis and ageing seem to go hand in hand, so I know I need to look at all aspects of how I live to lessen its effects on my body.

Anytime you want to talk....I promise I'll listen : )