Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain from Work Injury

AnonymousPosterAAnonymousPoster Posts: 1
edited 10/05/2015 - 12:42 PM in Chronic Pain
Any existing relevant medical issues - None

Current medications- Ritalin 10mg X2 day(ADD). Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours (Only have taken it 3 times on Saturday 10/3/2015), Cyclobenzaprine x1 before bedtime (Started 10/1/2015, currently taking).

9/2/2015 was preforming work duties at my job, ended up grabbing a 170lb lead shield (Thought to be 25lbs), that made me rapidly bend at the waist and pull me to the ground before I could let go of it. Immediately felt extreme lower back pain. Only relief was coming from bending over. Reported my work injury, was administered ibuprofen and placed on "Light work duty".
Could barely walk the next 6 days. I stayed in bed laying down majority of the time, and experienced only tightness in lower back, with an aching sensation at the same lower location.

9/17/2015 still experiencing tightness, soreness, and aching in lower back. Stood for the first time doing job duties for 3-4 hours without sitting. Started having extreme tightness and aching in lower back. 1 hour later started experiencing lower leg weakness, and experienced 2-3 shooting pains from my lower back down to my lower thigh.

9/18/2015 lower back is very sore from previous day. Aching in lower back as well as constant shooting pains in left leg that extends down to left calf.

9/29/2015 Work finally takes me to see employer doctor for my constant shooting back pains. Doctor orders Xrays and sees nothing. Administers muscle relaxers, and pain medication (noted above). Doctor also injects sore back area with steroid to see if it relieves shooting left pain, however it does not.

10/3/2015 left leg shooting pain finally goes away because of the pain medication and I'm able to sleep a full night.

10/4/2015 wake up that morning with no pain in left leg. However, the pain has changed to the right leg. The right lower section of my spine has shooting pain down it, that travels down my right buttocks, down to my right side of my calf muscle.

10/5/2015 aching pain still in lower back, shooting pain still down right leg.

I have a follow up doctor visit tomorrow 10/6/2015. I spoke with the doctor today and he said he is prescribing me a "steroid pack" to take orally to see how that feels before he orders a MRI. I'm starting to get very frustrated because it has been over a month, and the pain is getting worse. I'm not certain why he is waiting to get the MRI and just doesn't order it to see what the problem is rather than covering it up.

Any ideas or suggestions ??

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    But understand I am not a medical professional!

The usual injury that would occur when lifting- over lifting would be severe muscle strain. Muscle strains and pulls are extremely painful and slow to heal. Treatments for this type of injury are anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and motrin. A stronger medication would be a steroid pack which stops the body from reacting to the inflammation of the muscle strain. Doctors treat injuries with the least amount of interference as possible. The body can and will heal often for months or even years after the initial injury. Some treatments for injuries can actual do more damage than the original injury. MRI scans are expensive and often cannot show all of the damage done, if there was damage. (Inflammation and swelling in the area can be pushing on a nerve causing the shooting pain down your legs.)

A month seems like a very long time to be in back pain and spasm it is a very short amount of time for the body to heal. My guess would be the next step as Physical Therapy which will help building up the supporting muscles around your back and stomach.

I hope this alleviates some of the worry you're experiencing!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History