Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery post 7 level cervical/thoraic laminectomy/fusion

jacdobejjacdobe Posts: 1
edited 10/08/2015 - 6:12 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello al,

I am new here, posting on behalf of my father who is not computer literate. He just had a 7 level laminectomy and fusion from C3-T2 to reduce severe myelopathy yesterday. He is doing well post surgery though in understandable pain . The surgery went fairly uneventfully, except having to go a level farther down than they had planned.

My concern is about his recovery. They originally told him he would be in the hospital 3 days following surgery but now they are saying he will be released tomorrow. At this point, he has no one at home to help him during the day as my mother is very limited in ability due to her own health conditions. In general, prior to the surgery, he spent a good amount of time helping her. He does all the cooking and cleaning and general care around the house, including caring for their cat.

I am trying to figure out if it is going to be possible for him to actually function at home without a good amount of help, or whether I should push for discharge to a rehab facility for a week or two until he is better able to function.

He has to climb about 18 very steep steps to get to their apartment but once he is in the apartment, it is all one floor. He has two recliners for sleeping if he finds it difficult to get into their bed (which is fairly high). I work 40+ hours a week so will only be able to check in after work and on weekends and I am his only child. His other family members are not reliable. They may do minimal things to help for the first few days but not after that.

I had a one level ACDF 5 years ago and recall that a good part of my rehab was walking short distances many times a day and working up to longer distances. With the steps, I don't know how that would be possible for him.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.