Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I stay in a positive state of mind

SolshineSSolshine Posts: 6
edited 10/10/2015 - 4:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
It has been five weeks since my hemilaminotomy microdiscectomy L5/S1 and although I knew this wasn't going to be easy, I did not anticipate it to be this hard either. Although I don't have the pain from before, the healing pains seem to be kicking my butt literally! The sciatic pain is quite a doozie especially laying down or trying to get in and out of my car. I started physical therapy two weeks ago and was really excited to get to do something physical today but that was short lived because since then I have been in so much pain. I hate it because prior to surgery I was very active working out 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I was a fitness director, spinning instructor, kickbox instructor, and fitness trainer for 12 years. You don't realize how hard it is to not do anything until you physically can't. Everyone assumes I hurt my back working out but I didn't I was in a car wreck and had to be taken out with the jaws of life when I was a teenager 23 years ago and I was never supposed to run again but I did and I lived life to the fullest doing every active thing I could find so sitting here barely being able to do anything is weighing hard on me. I know everyone is different, but is week 8 the magical number when life is maybe close to being back to normal. I just want to know there is light at the end of this tunnel.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    me, it sounds like you have the mindset to handle this.
    You did it after your accident, you ran again.

Really, its no different here. Only positive thinking and doing the right things for your body.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SolshineSSolshine Posts: 6
    edited 10/10/2015 - 10:53 AM
    Thank you for the positivity !
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 722
    Dear Solshine

If your doctor or PT agree try swimming...

It won't put as much stress on your body but is a great physical activity that your body will love.

I swim every day and I always get out of the pool with a big grin on my face and feeling like a million bucks.

Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015