Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

very frustrated

Hey every one. I have a question. Is it too late to seek medical advice from another Neurosurgeon? If anyone has read my posts, you know I am having a hard time with my neck. I have been on Short Term Disability from work and I had no problems until I went to my appt. back in July. My Dr. was not in that day and I saw the PA/NP. I told her the pain down my arm had started again and it was getting weak again. I also told her I needed to talk about going back to work. Well she told me she was going to order another MRI and she was not going to talk about sending me back to work until the Dr. gets the results of the MRI. I also said papers had to be fill out in order for me to continue to get STD. The PA said "Don't worry about it, that she would take care of everything". Guess what.... she didn't and my benefits were cancelled. This is the person that told me nothing was wrong with me when I had 5 herniated discs. Then I wound up having neck surgery. She also left staples in my neck when I was suppose to have them all taken out. She thought my husband was me. Imagine that!!! She even forgot to tell me to come back for my follow-up appt. Well I finally got an appt 1 month later (after numerous weekly phone call) to discuss my MRI results. The report said I had developed another herniated disc and pinched nerve at C7-T1 and severe DDD at T1-T2. I already had C3-C7 decompression laminectomy and fusion back in March. He told me he could not see what was causing my pain. He said I was residual pain. But yet he sent me for a series of Epidual injections and more therapy and he told me he wanted me to stay out of work for 6-8 more weeks. So once again I had the Dr's office fill out paperwork since HE told me not to work. And once again I was denied benefits. Oh I was approved for unpaid Leave of Absence, but I wasn't approved STD. So I appealed. Because of what the Dr. said I was denied again. He said I had good range of motion and my strength was good. He didn't even test my strength when I saw him. By the way my strength really doesn't mean anything. I had a ruptured rotator cuff back in 2011, but I still had a lot of resistance in that arm. I guess he forgot to tell them what he told me and my husband, that I am no longer able to do my job . He won't let me go to work. I don't have an income, haven't had one since July. Short term disability wasn't much, but it was better than nothing at all. I am so mad. I trusted my Dr. He cut me open,took out 5 pieces of my spine put 2 rods in my neck preventing me from working but then it seems like he's not on my side. I am wondering if it would do any good to go get another Dr's. opinion. I don't know how much more I can take. I am still in so much pain, I sit and cry. My arm is so weak, holding a newspaper up to read hurts. I can't even bring a glass of drink up to my mouth without pain shooting though my neck and upper back and down my arm. Even typing this post is painful. Any Advice?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 10/10/2015 - 12:15 PM
    ...your frustration. I have never been a candidate for surgery, but I think in general terms, it never hurts to have a second, third, or how many opinions!
    New eyes are often times helpful. Some personalities click better than others, re feeling listened to and your issues understood.

When I was going through the paper work for Disability, an attorney was guiding me.
    When it came to the paperwork for doctors, I had to make appointment for it.
    They filled out forms during the doctor visit and handed it to me.

The doctors were able to double check things in my presence, and listened to my reminders of what he himself had told me and also of my limitations.

I wish you the very best at finding some relief, sooner rather than later.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• reddragun61rreddragun61 Posts: 27
    edited 10/11/2015 - 11:38 AM
    Savage, thank you for your comments. Anyone and everyone that knows my situation recommends i sign for SS disability, but if my own Dr. says things that would prevent me from Disability through work, then he's going to say the same things to the SSA and therefore I will be denied from them also. I am unable to work (that's what he keeps telling me and my husband) but yet he tells my insurance company there is nothing keeping me from working. But he will not release me to go back to work. The insurance co. is forcing me to go back to work. They have cut my benefits off therefore I am no longer getting disability checks. I am suck between a rock and a hard place
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...to know how to navigate all of this ...and then to have a doctor tell you one thing and paper work for disability another.
    Not sure if your seeing pain management Doctor, but it wouldn't hurt second opinion....in my experience.

I had paperwork by my primary Doctor, pain management doctor, from my psychiatrist, and therapist and my GI doctor.
    The unbelievable pain, I definitely needed professional help to get through.
    Friends and family can only do so much and really can't understand. I still find it hard to believe and I live it.

I made a "team" for myself, and paperwork from each.

Curious if your doctor says your symptoms are normal after your kind of fusion?
    Did you have follow up testing to make sure all is in the right place?
    Would it help to have EMG to see what might be going on in there?

Again, I never had surgery, but just some questions that come to mind.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I saw pain management twice. The first time I saw him was for my epidual injection. I saw him for about 1 minute. He came in the room, introduced himself and out he went. I was asleep during the procedure so I didn't get to talk to him after. 2 weeks later I went back for trigger point injections and it was the same. He came in injected me and out the room he went. That was it. I go back to my Neurosurgeon the 14th and I'm afraid I'll say something I will regret later. I'm thinking about just telling him to release me from his care so I can go back to work with no restrictions. That's the only way my boss will let me come back. Even though I know I can't lift 50 lb. boxes and push 100 lbs. of freight . I don't really have a choice but to go back to work . I can't go much longer with no income. I ate lunch today and it hurt raising a glass of tea to drink. I really don't want to re injure my self but I don't know what else to do. Really stressed out right now.