Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Double whammy

AKguyAAKguy Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've been holding off on posting, since I wasn't sure where this is going, but it doesn't seem great.

I've been dealing with back pain for more than 1.5 years nonstop, and in hind sight, for longer than that. Had a MicroD in May which helped quite a bit, but still dealing with foot pain/numbness and scar tissue issues around nerve root. But compared to presurgery, this is tolerable.

During my recovery, my wonderful wife has picked up the slack, doing double duty in so many ways.

So last week my wife complained of abdominal and hip pain and went to see her chiropractor to adjust her back ... similar to some pain she has had in the past, but this time his treatments didn't help much. She was in enough pain to be crying (not typical for her) and she saw her GP who prescribed muscle relaxants and anti-inflamatories for back pain. Based on the symptoms (pain in back, wrapping around hips and down front of legs), it is different from the sciatica that I have, but chillingly similar. I really don't want her going through what I have experienced, so this really has me worried.

I suggested she try to see the doc I have been seeing, but that office will not allow spouses to see the same doctor. So they want her to see someone else.

We are traveling (starting Friday) for 3 weeks, with four airline flights (actually 6 if you count a couple short hops)... so this is bad timing. I hope she doesn't injure herself more during the trip. Since our folks are getting older, we had scheduled a family obligation trip a while back.

I had hoped she could at least get a more definitive diagnosis before we head out, but she can't get an appointment until we return, given the short notice.

I guess this isn't one of those posts seeking a concrete answer ... just venting. Since this flareup, she's had some horrible days and some not so bad. Not surprising. Today she is in bad shape, and as a guy, my natural reaction is to try to brainstorm solutions, things that will help. But I'm feeling pretty powerless right now. There isn't anything I can do to fix the situation for her. I've heard of sympathy pains, but this is taking things a little too far.

• That really sucks. Can she get a nerve block from Dr. K_____? It might help her get through the vacation.

I would take her back to her PC and demand the MRI or go to the Hospital ER and get one.

If she needs surgery you can send her to my NS. He is well respected and has very good bedside mannor. He will not see you unless he looks at your films and thinks he can do something for you.

PM me if you want Dr K____p's number or my NS.

Hope she feels better soon.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    Many times additional tests are necessary to completely diagnose a situation. But those decisions come from the medical professionals. When patients try to demand something from a doctor they will probably only alienated themselves and then they would have smaller chances of getting things resolved.
    Hospital Emergency Rooms are not going to just quickly give a patient a MRI. Unless it is a trauma situation, most emergency room doctors will attempt to contact the patients regular doctor to discuss the problem.
    It is important for you to stand up for your rights, but at the same time you need to be reasonable and use good judgement
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com