Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Californians?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Water Cooler
How many Californians do we have? I know some of our younger members from Northern California but the vast majority of you are unfamiliar. I thought it would be interesting to hear a little about ourselves. Feel free to reference any great doctors you might have or warnings about judgmental pharmacists, etc. Hope to hear from all of the California back sufferers out there.

My name is Jackie. I am 22 years old and live in Walnut Creek (Northern California). I just graduated from the University of Denver and was an avid swimmer before my injury and my two discectomies and ALIF at L5-S1 (11/07)). Finding work seems to be challenging at the moment in the biotech field so if anyone wants to hire a molecular biology major let me know and I'll make you cookies if you hire me :) I have a great surgeon at UCSF and a great pain management doctor in Walnut Creek if anyone needs help finding good medical care.

• I live in San Francisco with my wife and 1 year old son. I had an ACDF at C5-C6 at UCSF in February 2006.

I work in software in Silicon Valley.

By the way, who is your surgeon? Mine was Dr. PW.

Cheers, Mate
  • My name is Amanda. I am 27 years old, born and raised in Paradise California (Chico area). I am currently living in Massachusetts... though I'd like to imagine I'm back in California right now. I'm sure you may well know... my home town has been on the verge of destruction by multiple wild fires for about a month or so. The humboldt fire in Paradise started only a few days after I left there from vacation!! Nice to meet you :)
  • Oh my! Yes I heard about Paradise being in jeopardy from the fires. I hope it is now safe and they are getting a handle on things.

I live in Southern California, in the high desert aka Mojave Desert and commute to Los Angeles for work. We get plenty of fires down our way but have been spared so far this year, well except a little farther north near Santa Barbara, Big Sur and in the Southern Sierras.
  • The Mojave huh? I've been through there a few times. My husband was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base for a short time. What an amazing place huh??? The most unbelievable thing I've ever seen... snow... in the desert!!! I don't have any recent information on the fires, but my friends and family have all been evacuated at one time or another in the last month. And they say everything is covered with ash like snow. Last I heard, they had emptied out K-Mart of all expensive items... maybe they're afraid of looting?
  • I can see Edwards AFB from my house, but it is actually about 25 miles away. Years ago my kids and I went there to watch the space shuttle land. That was awesome! Now it lands in Florida of course, except when the weather is too bad, then it lands at Edwards.

Yes, we get snow once in awhile.
  • I live in Palo Alto, birthplace of Silicon Valley, regardless what S.J believes. My surgery was by a local doctor at Stanford University Medical Center. The doc is a miracle worker, he is with the Palo Alto Medical Foundation and I have my complete confidence in him, as he performed the impossible, a three-level spinal fusion with absolutely no post-op pain. I would let him cut me open any time.

And yes, mate, I am a loyal Peet's customer.

Kin }:) :) }:) :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I too agree, Palo Alto has always been to me the birthplace of the Silicon Valley. San Jose jumped in way too late.
    In my earlier days with IBM, I had a number of chances to move out to Palo Alto.. Went there for a temp assignment, but I guess I am just a New England kind of guy. Mind you I dont love the harsher winters and snow (especially as the years go by) but I do love my 4 seasons)

To me, Palo Alto is the home, the birthplace and where the best of what came out of the Silicon valley originated from.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I feel at home with all you Silicon Valley folks. While I currently live in the East Bay I have a second interview for job in Los Gatos and would love to live down there again.

Mate- My doc at UCSF was Dr. Ames. He does amazing work with younger patients but I couldn't pick him out of a line-up if my life depended on it. However, his NP is one of the most caring people I have ever known and calls to check-up on me just to make sure I'm doing all right. I just love UCSF!

• Thanks for the kind words Ron, I accept them in the name of my adopted city. Like everywhere else we have our problems too (astronomical housing prices, traffic jams etc), but it is still the best place I have ever lived. And take my word for it, I have been around.

Kin }:) }:) }:) }:)
  • I'm from the San Bernardino area in Southern California.
  • all you California sunshine kids! I've been living in Southern CA for about 15 years now, currently in Redondo Beach. Dr. Yoshida is my OS and the jury's out on whether I recommend him or not. I work at a hospital he works out of and prior to surgery I'd heard nothing but rave reviews. Unfortunately I'm not healing well tho :''(
    At least I've got the beautiful Pacific to look at anyway. I'm a surfer and it just kills me to be laid up like this. Hoping to get back in the water soon!!!
  • I just moved from Long Beach, CA this July. I lived there for 28 years and boy am i glad i moved to Mo. :)

My doctor who did my last surgery at Harbor U C L A in Torrance, CA was Dr Saad Sherbrain. He's the greatest!! :*
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.