Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

excruciating low back pain

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 549
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
So some time yesterday, my back started hurting. It had gotten progressively worse though the day. By 5pm, my whole body was shaking, like as with caffeine jitters. By the time I was done preparing dinner around 8ish, I couldn't stand without excruciating pain. The only way I could find any relief was by bending over. The pain is in my spine with burning and a sense of pressure in the muscles across my low back. It feels like my spine is crushing into itself when I stand, or sit up straight. Also, there is pain in my hip joint. I feel like its out of place or something, with the usual pain down the back of my leg to my knee. There is even a little pain in my left hip, which is unusual. I rubbed some Icy Hot on my low back last night, which seemed to help with the burning and pressure feeling in my muscles, but thats about it. I went to bed hoping that I would feel better in the morning.

Guess not! I still can hardly stand, and cannot take my med for 3 more hours.

These were all of my original symptoms, and were my reason for demanding an MRI.

I don't know why I am posting this, accept to vent I guess. Its all a little upsetting to me. My doctor has me on 60mg Kadian twice a day, and it has been so helpful up till now. It feels as if I'm taking nothing at all. I can hardly walk, let alone pick up my son, and I don't know what to do.

Anyone else here experience this?? Complete return of the pain, even while on meds???

• I'm so sorry your hurting!!

Yes all my symptoms have come back after surgeries and other conventional treatments. Mostly I just had to keep trying different methods for relief. I've done everything, PT, meds, Injections, Massage therapy, traction...

The list goes on and on.

I am now on the SCS trial and its working. I'm still on meds but this has reduced my breakthrough pain by over 60% so far. I think I need to have the stimulator adjusted as well as me getting use to this.

I wanted to share this with you to give you hope. You will find a treatment to help you, the worst part is having to go through one at a time to find what will work for you.

Take care and vent anytime. I hope you can find a comfortable position soon and keep bugging the doctors for resolution. No one should live in pain.
  • I did experience similar symptoms during PT when I over did it.Maybe, you were under too much stress that triggers my pain real fast and my med's are barely useful at that point.

At one session a few weeks ago, my back got warm like a fever, muscles were twitching(kinda like a fish out of water + piano wire tight hamstrings)from my lower left side to mid back, shoulders and neck.My left ribs felt like someone was bear hugging me.It was a scary experience.

I laid on the bed on my right side, as the PT lady did her best to massage what could be done with out agitation that fell apart fast.In the end, she had to cover my body in towels and ice till I felt good enough to walk.

Do you have a friend whom could help or family?
  • Yah, my hubby always helps with rubbing my back, but when It comes to pain in my low spine, any touching hurts severely. The first time I went to PT, the lady hardly touched me. She didn't want to make anything hurt worse, b/c I was going on vacation. She slightly touched my spine, from either side, when i left there, I was in so much pain from it, could hardly drive home.

I've stopped going to PT, because all they have done for me is put heat on my back for like 20 mins, which I can do at home. It's not worth the trouble of finding a sitter. The last time I went to PT, the lady looked at my MRI results, and freaked. She left me sitting there for like 15 minutes while she showed it to someone else. I swear she was afraid to touch me. She came back, but some heat on it, and then sent me on my way.

I should go back, and just ask for someone who is more capable of actually helping me.

• A great PT is hard to find, I got fortunate with a great lady who truly listened to me and documented every detail that the main doctors didn't get to see.

I worked with a replacement for a few days due to vacation time and that one just insulted me with lectures and accusing me not hurting as bad I as said.

ALL without even reading my files???

She must have been super human :jawdrop:
  • Oh boy when you describe that pain I can relate to that so much, I use to feel like that before my first fusion, have you seen just a PCP or an actual NS?? YOU NEED TO GET SOME HELP THERE GIRL AND I SURE HOPE YOU CAN!!!

• Well I was seeing my PCP for months, and he referred me to PT. After my MRI, my PCP told me that I would need surgery. He said to contact a neurologist, and a neurosurgeon. The neurologist has been treating me for now, though he doesn't think I need surgery. I have an appointment to see a NS next month.
  • Ive been dealing with the exact same symptoms that youve described earlier, and after alot of tests everything from MRI through Mylograms. what they found out was the diagnosesis of degenerative disk disease with stenosis of the spine ,and some other words im not even going to try to spell!. It really hurts all the time ,and doesnt matter what position your in either, lack of sleep I think is the worst of it all I think?. But make sure you get second opinions even third ones if you dont feel right before you move forward to surgery?. Since for me at least Surgery wasnt a cure all,and actually I think it made my lower back pain worse just traded around nerve pains to the knee,and hip for more painful one?. Im so thankful for my primary physician though at least he understands,and try to help releive some of the pain through pain management . Were both to young to be having these back problems 36 yrs old here,but feel like 99.
  • Sorry to hear about your pain . I have the almost same pain severe preassure feeling in the low back . I've had 2 micos in the past yr and a half with minimal releif. The leg pain is one thing but the preassure pain is awful and makes it hard to do anything .I go to the dr today for 1 month check up after the last micro.
  • you can find pain exercises on this site maybe i helps

The URL was removed by moderator paulgla. Advertising is not permitted on the Spine-Health forum.
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation.......Paul
This discussion has been closed.