Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post 2 Level c56- 67 ACDF Recovery

Redmon81RRedmon81 Posts: 1
edited 10/15/2015 - 8:12 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

My name is Jason and I am 2 weeks post op on 2 level fusion of the c5-6 & c6-7 with plating. I have some questions about the recovery process.

Some background info for me: 33 years old, 5'9", ~295 lbs, muscular build, former powerlifter, 420 bench press, 500+ deadlift and squat, 19 inch neck, 9 years Army service, 3 tours in Iraq, 6 years of neck issues, pain in both arms, loss of strength mostly in left hand and forearm.

My surgery was on September 30th, 2015. I spent one night in the hospital. My surgeon said I did not need a collar. I was up and walking the night of surgery. I was eating with some pain in the throat. I have not taken any pain meds since the night of surgery. I have taken 1 Flexiril about 1 week ago because of muscle spasms in the shoulder blade area. No advil or tylenol either. I returned to work 6 days after surgery to my desk job.

My questions are:

Is it normal to be about 90% + pain free after surgery? I was only feeling pain if I had a quick movement or rotation of head. I am feeling almost 100% now in most conditions/positions. I do notice some discomfort in extreme rotation/flexion.

Roughly how long until fusion happens? I realize this is dependent on the individual but looking for some people that have had similar experience.

When do you think I can start lifting more than 5-10 lbs? Not talking about at the gym, just every day activity.

Exercise possibilities? I have been walking daily but I get bored. Could I jog if I am not in any pain or feeling discomfort? Bike riding?

Will it be possible to powerlift again? I am not expecting to jump right back in. I know it will be slow going and I need to build back up at a gradual, easy pace to not hurt myself further. I also realize it will be months from know before I could/should go back to lifting like this.

What is the possibility of damage to neighboring discs? I have read some things that say there is a greater risk of damage, especially to discs above the fusion in the neck. Any links to good articles?

So far the surgery and recovery have been great. My surgeon at the 1 week post op reacted like this is expected when I talked to him about it. I have my 6 week post op scheduled with an x-ray scheduled for the 19th of November.

I must say I was scared to the point I was giving myself the bubble guts prior to surgery but I am glad to say it was all for naught. :-) If people are on the fence I say go for it. It has been great for me. If anyone has had similar experiences it would be awesome to hear. I feel that hearing positive things helps with the recovery process and gives you a positive outlook.

Sorry for the long post,
Jason

Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
- Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)
- Medical advice of any kind
- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etc

Liz ...Spine-health moderator

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,892
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • From my own surgeon - I was moved from 5 lb limit to 15-20 lbs at about a month. It was supposed to be earlier than that, but I had a set back initially. I was personally told no jogging until fused, which I am not fused yet but my surgery was much more extensive than yours. From what I have researched, most fuse before 6 months (some at 3!), but up to one year. I would think no heavy lifting either until fusion, but that's definitely something your doc would tell you. It would be interesting to hear what he says on the bike riding - recumbent might be better, because you don't have to extend your neck to look up.
    On the adjacent disease syndrome, I believe it's close to 3% per year for 10 years - so close to 30% of patients in 10 years need another surgery (which is why heavy lifting might be scary, but ask your doc...)
    Good luck! Glad to hear you're doing so well!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• LauralauraLLauralaura Posts: 27
    edited 10/28/2015 - 3:05 AM
    Am active female athlete 16 days post op Acdf multilevel. Under a 10 lb weight lifting restriction. Feel good, am so far happy with results, and there is no way after I feel surgeons did their part, I will not listen and do my part despite how well I may function and feel. Have had successful rotator cuff/labrum surgery before and I could not have gotten back to doing what I loved had it not been for my listening and working closely with my surgeon, physical therapist after and reporting on the results of what he let me do. I want another great result and fusion and acdf surgery is not my area of expertice, so no matter how well I might feel, I am getting clearance before I move past the 10 lb weight limit restriction, as well as any others. Good luck to you and yes, I know how stubborn athletes can be firsthand. A little age helps control the stubbornness though.
    lauralaura