Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Problem with urination

I am 5 days away from a L4/5 360 fusion. I am currently taking Perkoset every 4 hours and Valium every 6 hours. Which I have been doing for about a month. My pain is very severe now to the point that there are days that I can only crawl. Pain increased this week when I had to give up Advil on Wednesday, one week prior to surgery.

My question to everyone is if you experience delayed urination when using the restroom . This started probably 2 weeks ago. When I finally crawl and get myself on the toilet it takes a minute or longer before I begin to go. Sitting is incredibly painful and i just want to get it out so I can get back to laying down. Once it actually starts coming out, I go just fine . No issues with constipation or fully emptying my bladder. It just takes so long to get the pee flowing. I've heard that perkoset can cause these types of delayed issues. Just curious if anyone has experienced the same thing?
Jacki - Age 37
L4-L5 Discectomy April 2, 2009 (Felt Great for 5 years)
2014-Reherniation of L4-L5 disc
ESI #1 - August 4, 2014 - No Relief
ESI #2 - August 18, 2014 - No Relief
360 Lumbar Fusion L4/5 - scheduled for October 21, 2015

• You and I are so similar on our upcoming fusions: both 360 low lumbar (you L4/5, me L5/S1). I do not take the same meds, but I do have a similar issue.

Urination is fine, somewhat more delayed as pain and anti inflammatory drugs discontinued. I'm having pain on tail bone that is different than before. It happened last week as I was completing a number two, (so sorry for the crassness of sharing that) and my tailbone quite suddenly felt as if I had just painfully landed on it. Such a strange (out of the blue) and painful (new pain, separate from old symptoms). In fact my leg spasms and some back have quite simply become unbearable at times. I know I need to be off anti inflammatory remedies...but grrrr it is hard. At least that is what I'm attributing the pain to.

I've had the chance to update my doctors because of recent procedures pre surgery. They are aware and have indicated that think the symptoms will dissipate once surgery happens. Maybe call your doctor and see if that is the case too? I hate to think of anyone in pain or getting worse. Good luck b3. Hoping to hear of your success story!
  • Urinary hesitation was a bigp part of why my surgery was scheduled so quickly. My doc said it was sometimes attributable to pain, that when pain is extreme it can cause these problems. I was to call the office if I stopped being able to empty my bladder.

Mine was an L5-S1 herniation, microdiscectomy on 9/28, and urinating was fine right after surgery.

Good luck!
  • I too have had slow urination with the lower level problems, it goes away soon after surgery. I do have a question on what surgery you are going to have. You call it L4/5 360 fusion. If I translate that to mean they are going to go in from your back and then also from you front, I have had that surgery. First, the front surgery does not hurt at all, just leaves a long surgical scar and I wear a bikini anyway. Second, my surgeons (2 of them for a good result) did both surgeries on the same day during the same operation. Most surgeons do this surgery in this manner. I have heard that there are still some surgeons who do the back surgery and then a day or 2 or 3 later take you back into surgery for the front surgery. You are still in pain from the back fusion, the insertion of the hardware, very painful. A friend of mine absolutely refused to go back in for the necessary front surgery. If this is the type of surgery you are facing I truly hope you have both in the same day.
    Still Walking
  • Thank you for the comments. Yes, I am having an ALIF/PLIF during one operation. It's estimated to take about 6 hours. I really am in a major amount of pain which explains why it may be tough for my bladder to be hesitant when it comes time to go. That and being on narcotics I'm sure doesn't help either. All I can say is Wednesday cannot come soon enough, I want this nightmare behind me.
    Jacki - Age 37
    L4-L5 Discectomy April 2, 2009 (Felt Great for 5 years)
    2014-Reherniation of L4-L5 disc
    ESI #1 - August 4, 2014 - No Relief
    ESI #2 - August 18, 2014 - No Relief
    360 Lumbar Fusion L4/5 - scheduled for October 21, 2015
  • How was your operation? How are you feeling now?
    Kirsti x
  • juke011jjuke011 Posts: 2
    edited 10/26/2015 - 3:38 PM
    Delayed initiation of urination here as well. I have a L4-L5 disc herniation with complete nerve compression on the right side. I also have bulging discs at L2-L3 and L5-S1. I was just denied for the XLIF surgery and feeling pretty helpless. Meeting with my neurosurgeon next week to discuss options. Hope you are feeling better since your surgery!