Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More Surgery Needed

IN 2009 I had an anterior corpectomy with fusion and a posterior laminectomy with instrumentation from T1 to C4-C5 . I recently had an MRI because my left arm has atrophied more and I am experiencing pain in both arms and hands. (I suffered irreversible nerve damage to my left arm and hand)

The result is I now have disc decompression and stenosis in my C3/C4 that has caused spinal cord damage. The surgeon I spoke with wants to remove the original instrumentation from the back of my neck, perform another laminectomy, and add new instrumentation.

I am very scared for many reasons, but mainly because I am older now (60) and concerned the recovery won't be as easy as the first recovery. Not that it was a party, but it wasn't as bad as expected. I am on medication that compromises my immune system and assume will have to stop taking it, but have not received an answer for that yet. I will be getting a second opinion because the surgeon that did my first surgery is no longer practicing and now I have to find another one I like and trust.

In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone has experienced a similar repeat surgery and how things went from pre- op to post op and any other issues that may have come up.

Thanks for your help!

• So sorry you are facing another surgery. It seems often with these spine things everything is a temporary fix. I had a discectomy in February and am now scheduled for a fusion. Like you , I'm terrified, because the recovery from the discectomy was actually rather a piece of cake... This... well, lets say I just watched a video of the procedure on Youtube, and I really really hope mine is less crazy.
    One thing that is in our favor, especially yours, is that over the years lots of things have been improved, including instrumentation and technique, so your recovery could actually be easier because there might be less damage to your tissues. Best Wishes to you!