Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG Electrical studies

jubejjube Posts: 25
edited 10/27/2015 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone
ok so ive had these horrible electricution tests before,and due to have them done again,have unexplained chronic pain that cannot be explained on mri ,ive heard they can come back negative for nerve damage they are not conclusive can anyone explain ,i will be having the electrical stickers on the skin and the needles into muscles ,ive had microdiscetomy 4 years ago right sided sciatica worsening into hips left leg and lower back, i have facet joint arthritis which I have injections for ,would be grateful for any info on these terrible tests.

• I also had an EMG performed several years ago. I'm thankful nerve damage was discovered, but wil not have this test again. I cried for the whole 2 hours during the teat. Dr. Had me take 1 valuim before test.started to calm me. Well, I had the worst headache ever. Like I said before, they did discover quite a bit of nerve damage throughout my body. I've had Lyme's Disease since 1995, thank you Mr. Tick. He wanted me back 90 days later to have test.again. why, I have no idea, but I told him flat out NO way. The test has give dr. Good information, but be prepared for pain.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I'm so sorry for the pain you have experienced....and Peaches, for Lyme disease on top of everything else.

Just wanted to mention, that not only is everyone different, but sometimes a person can experience a test that is painful and if repeated, less painful..and visa versa. My experience, anyway.

For my EMG testing, I had no additional pain...just my normal pain and discomfort of not being able to move around freely for the period during the testing.
    Judging from other tests I've had, I know that could easily change if I needed it repeated.

My PM doctor did the EMG testing on me...so not sure if that is standard..or if it makes any kind of difference....?

Only you can decide, but that test was so revealing to doctor in my case.
    If not revealing, doctor needs to continue his search for cause while treating the pain.

My doctor has told me that he repeats some tests as my situation may need to worsen before it is detected.

He also told me that impressions written about any testing are not conclusive, but only an aide in helping him with diagnosis.

Wishing you all the best!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History