Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excruciating pain 3 weeks post-op on ACDF- C6-C7

I will start with a little background. I am 32 and just had my 3rd back surgery. It all started after the birth, via c-section, of my daughter in February of 2009. I had a diskectomy and laminectomy when she was 7-8 month old which did not work. About 2 1/2 years later I had a lower lumbar fusion done on L4-L5 levels that was successful, I was able to return to the work field after 5 years. After about a year of work, I started having pain, numbness, and tingling down my left arm and debilitating headaches. I am left -handed so this was a huge issue. I tried a lot of different treatment options, injections, physical therapy, chiropractic, and medicines, with no success. So on Oct 5th I had an ACDF surgery done on the C6-C7 levels. I stayed one night in the hospital and was sent home the next morning with no type of collar. I felt pretty good, I had to stop myself from doing too much. Last week I had a horrible headache that wouldn't go away, so the surgeon put me on a Medrol dose pack, and flexeril 3x daily. The first 3 days it worked wonderfully, however when I got to the lower dosage my headache came back worse than ever, and I started having pain, numbness,and tingling down my right arm and through my neck, that wasn't there before surgery. Last night I was in so much pain I was crying and shaking uncontrollably. Also was extremely nauseous and felt like I was going to pass out. I finally got some relief, at least enough to fall asleep, and when I woke up pain was more tolerable, but definitely still present. I called my surgeon right away this morning, and still haven't heard back. I am unsure of what I should do. I can't take this pain, and I hate that my daughter has to see me like this. Please help, open to any suggestions or recommendations. Thank you
Lisa Mae

• You had to stop yourself from doing too much one week post neck surgery? What were you doing that made your neck worse. You are not nearly fused so you are not to do anything and no lifting either! I forgot the weight limit but my ACDF C5-6, C6-7 was in 2009. You gotta take it really easy. This is not a broken arm, this is your spine! Not, to scare you but I was doing so great and 75% fused after 3 weeks. My surgeon told me I could go back to full activities! I still didn't work for total of 2 months. I was not messing around with this. I had been through so much with major Myelopathy stuff!. They don't tell you it is easier to injure your neck post-surgery. I have had 3 injuries since.
  • I just saw your post today...11/4...and was wondering if your pain has gone away yet?
  • How is your pain? Did your numbness go away? I just had what u had and am being discharged from the hospital right now. My tingling is still here in my shoulder.leg not too bad. My dr said I must go very slow as has a lot of healing to do.