Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone taking Flurbiprofen (Froban)?

TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I started on Flurbiprofen when I was diagnosed with some form of spondyloarthritis eight days ago. I had almost immediate relief; probably 60 to 70% of my joint pain (SI joints, hips, knees and shoulders) has subsided, though the muscle spasms, tingling, etc. from other issues is still there.

I feel like I'm in a dream...not since Vioxx have I actually felt a difference like this; has anyone else had good results with this one? I know it's very hard on the stomach, so I take Pariet with each dose, and so far, so good.

• Tracy,

That's awesome news! 8 days you haven't experienced in a long long time! Sorry I don't have experience with the drug, but I'm more than happy to celebrate your good fortune!

• what is Pariet - I can't take NSAIDs at all.
  • I think it is a proton pump type medicine like Nexium or Prilosec which treats gastric reflux.
  • I've tried taking advil or aleve with prilosec and still have difficulties, so I don't think that will help me. thanks, though!

That must not be an American trade name, or it's not rx? I am familiar with 99% of prescription drugs -at least the most common, of course there are some that just aren't dispensed often that wouldn't be carried where I work.

Edit- just googled it and it is known here as Aciphex.
  • Paul, when I told the doctor that Vioxx was one of the best medications I ever used, it was the "icing on the cake" for her to start confirming her diagnosis. She said that although a lOT of people used Vioxx, there was actually quite a small number that had excellent results with it. I guess you and I are two of those people.

This past week or so has been amazing; I have taken LONG walks (yes I paid a little, but d*mn, it was worth it!!), been swimming three times and had endless amounts of energy. The only thing I have noticed is that my knees seem to be quite swollen, so I'll have to read the side effects again and mention that to my pharmacist tomorrow.

Anyways, here's hoping this will last and my kidneys can take it!! :)

• Yep, I have a script for it but am still scared to take it. I am watching your progress, Tracy and may start on it soon but the possible side effects have scared me.
  • They're still giving me a LOT of relief, though this morning I was more sore than usual....probably because I have been busy EVERY day because I've been ABLE to cope! I can honestly say that my quality of life has improved a hundred fold in the past 10 days; I know I've had "good" times like this in the past, but I'd forgotten just HOW good I can actually feel. The interesting thing I've found so far is that I can really isolate the different types of pain now; the muscle pain is very obviously muscle pain, and doesn't "blend in" with all the joint pain. The weather has also been hot and dry, which is what my body needs; a couple of weather systems rolling in will be a good test for me.

I see the rheumatologist again on the 31st, so I'll see if she wants to keep me on this or try something else.

I'll keep you posted, though I'll be offline for a couple of weeks starting next weekend.