Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/5 Fusion Posterior

I'm back. 46 YO, healthy guy, regular gym workouts, very active.

Background - mod -severe stenosis, L 4/5 disc issues and spondylothesis, pain jolting down legs. Recommended treatment L4/5 fusion from 2/3 physicians (whom I like).

This has been a grueling road to getting in to physicians I wanted and getting feedback from Orthopedic as well as Neurosurgeons but, I am very close to making a decision (gulp) and wanted to run some things by those that are willing to lend some advice. I'm not over the bridge yet and have more questions.

I know everything is "estimates" but, would like to know the following:

* Hoe long after L 4/5 fusion are you up?
* What is the typical hospital stay you experienced? Dr says 2-4 days and it's all dependent on the ability to control pain by pills versus IV.
* How soon were you walking for regular activity post surgery?
* What was your recovery time before back to work? I work at a desk, minimal walking, lifting.
* Are you happy? I see a lot of people on here that dont say many flattering things about the procedure.

Thanks for your help,
46, Good health, active.

• If you decide you need something you have to stay positive because your mental state plays a role in your healing, all surgeons I have talked to agree. I had a fusion 6 weeks ago and I am a healthy 35 year old with always and active and working out life. Unfortunately needed a micr discetamy after a work injury a year ago. Things were better for a while then a few months later horrible nerve pain for 8 moths. I got the fusion and some things are better but i am six weeks post surgery today and still have bad foot nerve pain. Surgeons found my nerves so severely irritated so the surgery definitely relived the pressure but nerves can take a year to heal. I was in hospital 2 nights. Up and walking with a walker for support on the second day at hospital. Second day home i was walking a lot sometimes with and without the walker. The walker is good just in case you might fall you can catch your self with the walker because falling days after the surgery would be catostrophic. I was walking alot within a few days of surgery but you have to listen to your body. I read people walking 5 miles a day after a week but i can tell you my body gave me bad foot nerve pain from walking a mile twice a day. Positive thinking and time heals all.Back to work depends on your recovery, maybe 3 months for a desk job. It was so hard to stay positive while having daily pain. Hardest thing i ever had to deal with, mental status is negative with daily pain but it makes your recovery worse and takes a bad toll on your family.