Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Australian Method of Spinal Stabilization

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,

Now 10 days post-op and doing great. Walked 3 miles this morning. After reading about the Australian Method of Spinal Stabilization and seeing pmazz10's posts, I bought the book by Rick Jemmett. Color me sold.

It makes perfect sense. My problem is that no-one seems to have heard of it here in Raleigh, NC. How could something published in 2001 with so much success not be more widely used by 2008? There is no one with CHEK credentials and even the PTs at Duke haven't heard much about it.

I had a L5-S1 discectomy after a major herniation ... he had to take 40% of the disc out. I want to (1) do everything I can not to reherniate and (2) get back to normal fit, healthy life ... i.e. for me, weights.

I would love some advice on how I can get a PT to help me with something that seems so fundamental. I want to work TrA and multifidus before all these core exercises they are giving me.

Any help from pmazz10 or anyone else would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Can anyone direct me to or suggest a way of finding someone (anyone) in America who uses the Australian Spinal Stabilization protocol.
    Thanks Dan
  • if you google hodges, jull, richardson, hides et al they are the main authors of the work on therapeutic exercise prescription for spinal stabilisation (based out of the university of queensland). as well as numerous scientific articles they do have a text that outlines the method in its entirety.

below is a good overview of the how therapeutic exercises for spinal segmentation came about:
    http://www.coca.com.au/newsletter/2001/sep0101a.htm

also this website gives a good breakdown of how to perform the basic exercises
    http://dianelee.ca/articles/coreMuscleTraining.php

your PT's may not know the method as it is called 'the australian method...'. to be honest i live in New Zealand and work in the industry, have done a Masters lit review on therapeutic exercise prescription for back pain and i had never heard of it called this before someone on this forum called it that. i googled the name specifically and came up with little at the time. if your PTs first teach you the basics of core stabilisation as described in the diane lee article then they are effectively following the Australian Spine method wthout knowing it,

good luck,
  • I just assumed that everyone did all these core muscles as general practice from the PT.
    These are what my physio has been hounding into me for the last few months starting with Day 1 post-op.

Thanks Rachel for your links, I now realise how different things can be between countries and even states.

Triniboy and Dan, I really hope you find some physio to help you.
    Blessings Sara O:) (from Australia)
  • Thank you Rachel and Angelback for your replies. It's strange and wonderful to reach down under and get help.

Just correcting my search descriptions to "basic core stabilization" and "diane lee" is really appreciated!

I'll keep you posted
    Dan
advertisement