Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from a newbie!

Hi, I'm new here.

I live in the UK and have had Ankylosing Spondylitis since I was in my twenties. I have one daughter, now 26, and we live in the north east of England, UK. I've tried a couple of biologic drugs, Humira and Enbrel, but neither worked for me. My rheumatologist now has me in his 'unresponsive AS' clinc. He does have one more drug I can try, but we decided to wait until after my instrumented spinal fusion surgery to give it a go.

I go into hospital on Monday 23rd September for instrumented fusion surgery on my T11 & T12 vertebrae, due to fractures there found on a routine MRI (because of my AS) last December. My neurosurgeon said because my back is so unstable he needs to go 4 levels above and below the fractures to make sure he gets a good solid fix with the rods, screws etc. I must admit it was a bit of a shock when I realised that means ten levels in total! He did say that, instead of having to cut the muscle for that entire length, he would try and just make Stab incisions' to fix the screws into the bone becaus th recovery would not be so painful.. So I guess that's a blessing, if he can indeed do that.

Thanks for listening,