Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated... blamed for not exercising enough

stargirlsstargirl Posts: 1
edited 11/12/2015 - 4:07 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm only 20 years old, but I've had chronic back pain for about three years, and recently, I've been having new problems. You can skip to the last paragraph if you want. But if anyone relates to my story, I'd like to know I'm not the only one dealing with something like this.

Let's rewind... beginning of October I woke up with numb hands. End of the day, my tailbone goes numb when I sit on the floor. Stand up, it goes away. It's like this for at least a week. Mid-October, I can't remember exactly why (maybe lying on my side on the floor), but my tailbone and hips hurt. Kinda like someone tilted them and I could feel it out of place when I walked. Next day, this feeling is gone. Hands continue to be numb when I wake up. Elbow sensitivity. Pain in last two fingers. Painful resting elbows when lying down on back (interferes with falling asleep). Typing is painful (haven't been typing that much, just school related work. Needed a few paper extensions). End of October - writing with a pencil is painful (taping pinky to next finger somewhat helps to write). Thumbs swell up in shower. Arms and hands pain are constantly distracting me in class, even though I'm writing/typing less each day. Side of hands following down pinky are blue-ish and painful. Meaty part of palm below thumb is light purple. Veins show more in wrist. "Short" response test 8AM in the morning comes up and I race to write everything in 50 minutes. I pay for it with 7/10 pain for the rest of the day, despite not writing for the rest of the day.

Parents take me home. Doctor orders blood test. Haven't heard back yet. Need to stand at one point because of elbow sensitivity/pain. Got extensions for written homework. Went back to school. Hand pain ranges from 5-7/10 pain during week. I wake up a few times at night, feeling slightly restless around Wednesday-Friday. Unusual for me to wake up at night at all, but I contribute this to new medication I just started. Friday was busy. Got back from classes at 10:30. Took Halloween decorations down, making 2-3 trips downstairs to put them away. Make an additional trip upstairs and down to get leaf decorations for fall. Cleaned dishes. Biked a few minutes down to my apartment leasor's office to get carbon monoxide detector batteries. Biked back. Ate lunch. Walked to bus stop 1-2 minutes from my door. Went grocery shopping walking/standing around store for approx 1 hour. Came home, put stuff away. Tried to make breaded zucchini like I tried at this one place before. Checked phone and heard there was a thing on campus. Walked 5-6 minutes to bus stop that takes students around campus road. Check thing out briefly. It's nice outside for November, so I just walked back to my apartment. Takes about 10-15 minutes. Get back and do laundry. Two loads, thank you. Doing okay, not feeling bad except for my damn hands/arms. But still too wiped to cook. Ordered fast food, I confess.

It's Saturday, I wake up early. I feel too uncomfortable to stay in bad. Sit around a little bit. Ate breakfast. Sat on the floor, opened up my textbook, read a few pages. Tired, so I lie down on my side and I could care less about my arm being numb. Wake up 20-25 minutes later and my side/hips feels weird. Get up. Hips/tailbone sore and painful. Shouldn't have done that. But sleeping on floor is a thing I do sometimes and this has never happened. Too uncomfortable to sit anywhere in my apartment. Campus bus doesn't run on weekends. Decided to walk to campus to study in a more comfortable chair. Walk starts out uncomfortable, but ends up being very painful. By the time I get to the building, I think I'm gonna collapse if I don't sit down soon. I plop down in an empty place and sit in an odd way so my tailbone doesn't hurt. Luckily, there's a bus that can take me back by my apartment, so I take it home after I study. Woke up early the next day, my hands aren't numb? I start homework and write notes. Some pain, but not that bad. I do some typing later, and it was okay. Worked on artsy/crafty project stuff. Back was hurting a lot. I moved once and it felt like my spine moved in a few directions. My back felt slanted. My neck felt off too. I was just happy to be going to bed at 11. AND WOW, no major elbow sensitivity/pain. But I lied down and couldn't get comfortable. I felt my back lock up and I had to stand up and crack it. It didn't feel like it smoothed into place. I repeated this a lot. The pain seemed moved when I tried to straighten myself. My neck felt like it was being pushed down and the side of my face got tight for a little while. Like there was air pressure in my head. I had sharp pains in my right thumb and wrist (new), which lasted about 5 minutes. This went on until 1:30, when I called my mom. I was afraid I would wake up unable to move. I had a neurologist appointment Tuesday anyway, so I was just going to wait. I had to keep standing up and lying back down. This went on until I passed out at 3:30. I woke up at 6:30 with no trouble. Getting up was a bit weird, like my back wanted to be folded in. I walked around and the feeling went away, but my back still feels weird. I didn't go to classes. Waited for my parents to pick me up. In the meantime, I got another pressure feeling in my head (different from migraines or tension headaches, which are gnawing or achey feelings for me. This was like a tightness feeling).

Couldn't sleep until 3 AM Monday night. Walking is okay. Balance is only very slightly affected, not noticable. But I feel it sometimes. Last night, I did get some sleep in my own bed. But I woke up with numb hands. Back pain was less off in the morning. More just regular back pain.

I'm a 130 pound 5'5" female, and I'm admittedly not toned, but I think I'm active enough that I shouldn't be having these problems. The neurologist I went to says all of this is because I'm not getting enough exercise... I'm so incensed! In September, I did a lot of bike riding to classes, instead of taking the bus. I'm not on some little campus either, there is some considerable walking involved. It's a 6 minute walk to most of my classes once the bus drops me off. I do that 5-6 minute walk back and forth from the bus stop to my apartment 2-3 times a day sometimes. I need to get books from the library for one class, so I do 6 minute walks to the library, walk up to the second floor, and search around for an hour sometimes. I also have another 10 minute walk to the health center once a week (group therapy... it's helpful. I get stressed. Don't judge). I mean, I know these things aren't that intensive, but it's not like I sit on my ass all day. I also make most of my own food, and that doesn't take 0 energy... I also do yoga sometimes. I know I'm not some super fit person, but this pain is really uncomfortable. It just can't be because I'm "not exercising enough". This summer, I was even proud of how much exercise I got in - I did a lot of bike riding and walking to places. This is despite having chronic back pain (which sometimes forces me not to do these things). I just want answers ): I'm so terribly stressed.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have a few questions, if that's ok?
    Do you lean forward on your elbows ,or forearms alot? I assume you do since most of us do when writing, either using our wrists or forearms when writing/typing/using a computer? Bend your arms at the elbow at night? Sleep with your arms bent? Numbness , tingling, diminished sensation and coordination in your hands?
    The fact that you mention the last two fingers on your hands may be related to something called ulnar nerve entrapment. That's what it is for me.
    An emg test can rule it in or out but it can take some time before it will if these symptoms just started in October.
    I am not a doctor but the symptoms you describe in your arms and hands sound like what I go through with my arms and hands.

• I had very similar issues when I was younger, and at the time it was blamed on tendonitis in my wrists. Make sure to keep following up with your doctor and be persistent. Find a doctor that will listen to your concerns and work with you. My thought would be to get an MRI which may be costly depending on your insurance but could help rule in or out some things. Your doctor would be able to order one. Finding a doctor you can have a good relationship is important.
    All questions and answers are given from a personal perspective only. I have congenital stenosis from C4-C7, and T7-S1. I am actively being seen my by doctor and following his advice. I strongly suggest that you do the same.