Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work.... :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I am back to work now. I am almost back to full time. I am working 6 hrs a day 5days a week. I only have 1 more week left of 6 hrs and then up to full time. This week was my first week of 6 hr days and I feel horrible. My back has hurt me everynight. I can't get comfortable to sleep and I have to get up early. I don't know if its all work though because I have had one sick little boy that wants momma to hold him all the time. I don't know what to do. Is work flaring me up the bad? I just want things to be better. I want life like the way it was before. I want to work and come home and still be able to play with my child. I am so tired and hurting so bad somedays I would love just to crawl in the bed when I got home but I can't I have no help. I don't go back to the neuro until the 4th of aug. He isn't going to do anything for me anyways because I am "chronic pain" now. I guess I am just a little depressed.

• I'm so sorry to learn about all what you've been going through and still with no relief. It must be even much harder when you have a little one at home...
    Have you had any kind of therapy? Can your dr give you a note of just working less hours if you can afford doing that?
    Are you on any meds to help you with the pain? have you tried the pain patches they might be good for you and help you at least during the day while you work.

Plese keep posting and we're here for you..

Lotus :)
  • I am sorry you are in so much pain. Please take it easy. I went back full force and now I am home and trying to figure what is wrong now. You hit it right on the head with being a "chronic pain." I feel the same. Just hold tight and make sure your yell at the top oof your lungs if you need help. Don't just whisper like I did. You have to take care of your self so you can take care of others.
  • Hey Cindy,

I know how much you've been suffering and I'm sorry to hear that work has made you so store again. I certainly felt it really bad when I returned to work after my surgery. All I can suggest is to just give it time, and in the meantime just try to not let things get on top of you too much. I know it's really tough on you, trying to do everything alone. All I can suggest is that you give it a couple more weeks and see if you manage to adapt. If not, then didn't your surgeon suggest that you may a suitable candidate for a fusion surgery? It's surely got to be worth considering if you are constantly suffering like this :(

Wish I could help you out honey but I just don't know what to say. So I'll send you a big hug and hope it helps.
  • I think you need to ask the doctor for a note to cut back your hours quite a bit and very gradually work your way back up slowly. I reallize you dont want to have a fusion but what if a fusion would make your pain even 50 percent better, wouldnt it be worth it?
    I really hope you start feeling better and are able to enjoy playing with your child and having a normal life.

Christina :)
  • Thank you everyone for your advice. I have started back slowly. I worked 3 weeks at 4hrs a day. I had good days and bad days with that. I am on pain medicine but only 40 to last me a month. Thats my fought though. I told the dr that I can usually make it last me a month. I know if I took it more frequently even just 2 times a day, my pain may be more tolerable. I get samples from my work of Lidoderm and Flector patches. They help some but not a great deal. I am currently on Ibuprofen 800mg twice a day, Flexeril as needed most take it at night, and Lortab. The dr told me when the Lortab quit holding my pain levels then he was going to switch me to either Opana ER or Kadian. I myself would rather Kadian. We (the pain management clinic I work for) have better experiences with Kadian. My nursing supervisor at work is wonderful. She makes sure she ask me daily how I am doing. I don't always tell her the truth. Famous words "I'm ok". She is willing to work with me. It has been 4 months since surgery. I feel as if they expect me back. I had 12 visits of PT. It helped some but the exercises to help me aggravated my hips. Its kind of hard to do certain exercises when my hips are totally out of place and just stuck there until I have them replaced. So much crap for me to go through being 26.

I would do the surgery if I had an option. My husband has already used all of his time off. I have already used 120 of my 180 days of short term insurance coverage for this year. My son is too small now to have this done. I am just trying to make it atleast a couple more years when he is 3-5yrs old. He is just 1.5yrs old now and he really can't climb steps and stuff like that and he still falls because he is learning to run and jump. I have to pick him up alot still.

The dr I am seeing for pain management (well he is actually a pcp) (my only choice) said he would do everything he could to keep me comfortable and away from surgery as long as we can. I really liked that about him. My first visit with him was on the 7th so I hate to call him already. I think if I maybe just had a medrol dose pack (steriod pack) that it would atleast calm things down a little bit. I don't know if its work causing me all of these problems or it just a concieidence that this is happening now or is it from holding a sick child everyday after I get off of work until he goes to bed. I don't like to cause problems and usually I never ask for help but I think I am going to have to.
  • You sound so much like me. I haven't always told the truth about my pain to people, cause you just get to feeling like if things are so bad that you have to tell how bad you hurt, you shouldn't be there...or people will treat you differently.

You work in a PM office, so you should know what chronic pain does to folks and the options that you have. I was to the point where I refused to take more meds, the shots weren't working, I didn't have any further options to rest more, etc. So surgery was my only thing left. I'm a week out post op from a fusion of L4/L5.

I couldn't take care of a toddler, doing good to take care of me. If you absolutely have no other options but to wait, then you are going to have to get honest and take heavier meds and watch how you pick up your child, change your strains.

What does your surgeon say that did your other surgeries about this pain? Can you define the symptoms now after recovery? Are they the same as before surgery? Lots of things to figure out. Maybe making a plan will help you feel better. Maybe time to try new pain meds?

Good luck and hope you find some relief.
  • Well NS says now because I have had so many herniations and so many discectomies that there is nothing left of the disc. So now it is very degenerative. I don't know really what is causing all of this I haven't had a MRI since surgery. I don't know what my back looks like post-operatively. The pain before the surgery was different. It was more like a real bad burning pain due to a really aggravated nerve root. Now the pain is just a real bad aching. Now it is in both legs. I think it is causing my hip to flare up or who knows that may be from my back too. This pain just makes you hurt all the way from my back to my toes. Its not usually very sharp, tingling, or burning. Thats why he thinks now its due to degeneration and not disc reherniation again. I have herniated disc at 3/4 amd 5/1 (don't know about 4/5 that was the one that I had a discectomy on), facets arthritis, degeration in all 3, and something that really concerned me is that the MRI said that I had possible blood dyscrasia because of decreased marrow signal intensity.

I called my PCP today to ask for a steriod dose pack because I think I am just really flared up and he phoned it in. Hopeful this will help me out. If it don't, I go back on Aug 4th to my NS and Aug 7 to my PCP. Surely I can get something accomplished at atleast one of these visits.