Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-6 acdf

Aloha, all I am new to this and wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted before me. I started having numbness and pain in my left arm and shoulder starting in June 2015. Just had acdf c5-6 on November 4th, THANK GOD I DIDNT HAVE TO WAIT ANY LONGER, I am walking up to 3miles a day and the only pain I am experiencing is post op stuff they told me I would have. Just so you know and I am sure all doctors are different, I left the hospital the day after surgery with no collar and a small red area on my neck. I will follow up as the days go on, but I am sure glad I didn't put it off any longer

• lorijo3llorijo3 Posts: 112
    edited 11/13/2015 - 2:11 AM
    I am so glad you are doing well!!

My spine was a "train wreck" C4-7 in 2014 according to my surgeon. I thought my rotator cuff was torn which is how I eventually got to the surgeon. I had no other symptoms. I put off surgery for a year because my office was moving and I had a large role in that and because another coworker was out for months for back surgery and we were short handed. When that coworker returned another went out for back surgery! But then one day at lunch...almost a year after my MRI, which was horrific, I thought I was having a heart attack...but wrong arm. Horrible pain and my right arm went numb and heavy and unusable. It happened again a couple times in the days following. Called my primary doc who told me to see my neurosurgeon again. Had PT then another MRI and things were worse. The doctor, his PA and my PT did not know how I was even functioning normally. I scheduled the surgery for a month before my retirement (at age 55) and took FMLA. In the weeks leading up to surgery I got worse...headaches, numbers in my arms and hands, I had trouble using the mouse on my desk computer. I was so scared at that point that I would be in am accident or take a fall and be permanently hurt or worse. I should have had the surgery when I first was diagnosed. Thankfully I made out okay.
  • Fast Eddie I had my surgery the day after yours. ACDF C6-C7. I am doing well except the side of my throat is driving me crazy. Did you have any throat issues? Did they its a cage or plate?
    I am on no pain meds . Sometimes my upper back between shoulders hurt and I use ice. I a, off work for 8 weeks . I am in an Aspen collar 24/7.