Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right arm pain

I have been having bouts of right arm pain now on and off for the last 4 years or so. The pain sometimes is in the bottom of my shoulder/sometimes just in the arm itself-sometimes my right hand-sometimes my thumb and first finger. I work in an office environment and when I have a flare up-as now-I struggle to type-the repetitiveness radiates from my fingers up to my arm, I do a lot of repetitive actions with my job using my right hand and the pain is unbearable.

I also suffer from extreme lower back pain-this is usually after being up and out of bed for ten minutes or so-slight movements make me feel as if my back is in a vice and are excruciating. This usually stops after an hour or so but can come on with certain movements during the day.

On and off I have also had leg pain-the pain at the minute in my right knee I am told is wear and tear and not connected to my neck/back-the pain from my knee-which appears either at the side of my knee cap or at the back-sometimes going into my foot-is also pretty debilitating-especially if i get down on my haunches-I need a hoist to get back up and its agony!

I also go to the loo for a wee a lot-one drink can mean I have to go three times-and sometimes immediately after going-I feel the urge again..

I get a lot of headaches too..

I will get round to the help I hope you fellow sufferers/experts can give me so bear with me please!

When I first started with the problems they initially appeared in my left arm and I also suffered from sciatica-I went to see my doctor and he referred me to a consultant-he only had to look at me to tell me it was caused by a disc problem in my neck and a mri scan confirmed that I have a disc protruding at C5/6 pressing on C6 nerve root. I also have protrusion at T4/5 pressing on T5 nerve root (last mri was about Dec 2012).

My consultant told me that he could look at an operation to remove and fuse the discs but wasn't sure if iot would help my arm pain.

Over the last few years therefore I have avoided surgery and have tried lots of things to try and help-I have had physio-made it worse-acupuncture-tens machines-more medication than I can list-hate how that affected my mind-memory-and the ability to even formulate words at times-been tested for carpal tunnel with electro magnetic testing-had c5 root injection-all to no avail.

The pain does sometimes ease off maybe for a couple of months-and always comes back-usually when the weather worsens-although I think this may be coincidence! When I am suffering though as I am now-its horrendous-I have trouble sleeping and I really struggle at work-when my back is bad in a morning I find it hard to even get dressed! I am a 50 year old female-know I am getting on a bit but don't feel I should be in this much pain for so long..

So I have been back to my GP who is going to refer me back to the consultant-if he will operate I'm at the point where I feel I have to try even if there is only the 30% chance of curing my arm pain that he quotes..

What are your thoughts? I am terrified of making things worse but the pain is not able to be managed any other way and is massively affecting my quality of life..