Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Which doctors should I see for meds?

pacificppacific Posts: 3
edited 11/14/2015 - 9:20 AM in Chronic Pain
Confused about the next step to take regarding my back pain. After a bad car accident, I had a double microdiscectomy (L4, L5, S1) in May, 2015. About a month ago, my pain started again. I saw my surgeon, and he gave me a 30-day supply of Norco, and told me to come back in a month if I was still experiencing pain.

My current meds: Norco, Flexeral, Ibuprofin.

My surgeon is very busy, so it takes a few weeks to schedule an appt., and he never spends more than 5 minutes with me. I live in L.A. and he's on the other side of town. With traffic, appointments usually take four hours or more. I have a GP that is 10 minutes from my house.

Which doctor should be my primary prescribing physician -

1. Surgeon - (is this his responsibility?)
2. GP (do they usually prescribe narcotics?)
3. Pain management doc (I have an appt. scheduled in 3 weeks, if needed).
May 5, 2015 L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
May 5, 2015 L4/L5 Laminectomy

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Many folks here have all of their medications provided to them by their pain management doctors.

For the most part, your general doctor (PCP) is not going to write prescriptions for narcotics. They may write a script for a small number of lower dose pain medications.

Surgeons provide their patients with the appropriate level of narcotics. But that has a time limit. Many surgeons will provide scripts only for a month.

Personally, my physiatrist provides me with ALL of my medications.

But also after you read some of the posts on this forum, you will see that this situation can differ from state to state. There really is not one
    federal standard protocol when it comes to WHO writes the prescription.

I would discuss this with all your doctors. You want to make sure who is going to do this. You dont want to be caught at the last minute with no medications and no clear answer as to who is going to write the prescriptions for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ok, thanks for the info. dilauro.
    May 5, 2015 L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
    May 5, 2015 L4/L5 Laminectomy