Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

We need your help

It is so good to see the increasing number of new members registering every day for Spine-Health..

But I have been seeing two problems:

• 1. Forum violations ( mostly asking for medical advice, analysis of their mri and duplicate posting )
    2. Not realizing about the new member thread/comment approval process
We have posted this type of information over and over. But I think that new members do not read or see this
information. That is probably the major reason for this problems. I do understand that as new members, they
may not be aware of the above.

I am looking for suggestions on how to make this more clear.

When we do the system migration to the new forum software, I am going to make sure that these items and more are
all spelled on in the registration email.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    edited 11/17/2015 - 7:54 PM
    I know people are joining, posting because their in pain and looking for answers, and to have anything but brief outlines of forum rules at registering may cause some people to give up and not feel up to taking the time to register so they can join.... but is there a way to program the screens so the person has to go through short detail of rule, having to select "next" before going on to next rule?

This next question not related to this forum, but was just wondering if you helped design the Apollo airline reservation programs? I had worked in travel agency, late 90's. Booking tickets, printing them off, was kinda fun back then.

Thanks for the feedback. We have been trying to come up with a process that will provide the new member with all this information without making them spend a lot of time doing it. You are so correct, people register here because they are having problems, the last thing we want to do is give them additional 'work' to get things done. This is not an easy task

Regarding the question about airline reservation system. My last 18 years with IBM, I worked in the small group called TPF ( Transaction Processing Facility ) Before that, the group was called ACP ( Airline Control Program ). We developed and sold the base operating system software that the individual Airlines then wrote their reservation system.
    That system was also used by most Hotel and Car reservation systems, along with the IRS and to me, one of the most important NYC 911 system

-- Ron DiLauro
  • NursesrangelsNNursesrangels Posts: 29
    edited 11/17/2015 - 7:47 PM
    Where it says 'Your name' above the subject line, it's not my user name---It says 'Backtap'. Just haven't seen this issue before. Ron can you help?
    Thank you!

This is a problem with caching, both at the system site , your ISP provider, and your browser. Clearing cache on a regular basis will eliminate this. The system however,
    knows the correct person who is posting

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 11/18/15
  • There are so many positives about this site. The constant I see in posts is that people said they trolled it for months/years before actively participating. I like Sheri suggestions of a next function and I would have it be detailed in a quick paragraph at top of page in a quick and positive/get to talking fast kind of way:

welcome! We are so glad you finally found us! Registration to participate is simple and fast. Give us five minutes, (probably faster! (And make it faster)) and we will take you thru some screens to help you understand how to use this site for your best advantage. Then in those next screens hit five major points or less. On final page (which should be titled: you are so fast and almost done!), indicate there are more forum tidbits and helps that should be read and where the new member can read them....eventually. Be sure to tell them you know they want to get to writing their question/comment so they know you know why they are even here. But at the same time say it like it is: "Dude, we know you want to write, but you need to know A,B, C, and D. And new member, you gots to do this because we are really only site on web that can help you right now in the way of opening door to a large population of people in pain just like you.

I think a banner of some title that short and sweetly explains this is not a site that can diagnose. Instead it is better because it is a site with people going thru the exact same thing you are and will have empathetic listening. Convey your visiting a support site and not medical site.

Honestly the reason people come to this site looking for help (not in the support way) is because they probably did the same thing I did. They got their scary Mri report and started googling it. Wellll, you know that spine-health is usually if not always in the top five results. So your site seems authentic (and that is good because it is.) they think it is the place to write in and get that quick fix /answer they desire because then the newby starts reading and badda Bing badda boom they are ready to type and ask. It is at this point where i would install the Sheri plan.

Lastly feeling all kismic about you Sheri and Ron: my whole family on moms side were travel agents from 1975 until 1998. Small world. ;)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...but was thinking about the area of short explanations below where we post.
    Where it explains smileys, text format, etc....
    Like notation to new members to please allow time...or whatever ...to prepare them that posts will not appear immediately due to process.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Sticky disclaimer - or an auto statement added to each post - one liner that this site is not intended to diagnose of recommend any procedures or treatments. Oh and by the way ....... Some of us ARE qualified medical persons (We just have to lie and say were not). or on sign up a check box and statement that they understand that .................

Regards D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• I never understood how any patient, especially a spine patient could expect a diagnosis from a website. Regardless of medical training or years of personal experience with spinal surgeries/procedures/pain, a diagnosis is simply impossible.

What this site does best is give us spineys a commonality in expressing our lives as they relate to each other's. We have great personal knowledge here, with such support and open honest communication.

The rules are necessary foundations to keep structure and order. A well-respected site such as this needs new members to understand what is available to them here and what is not. There is such a wealth of information for those brand new to spinal challenges. I came here with decades of personal and professional experience yet after my most recent surgery, I gained knowledge and received support.
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    I think of not having adequate forum rules to that of not having safe thought out traffic rules....though we may at times wish traffic rules could be changed to fit our need for speed, they are meant to keep people safer.