Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery services?

DkoglerDDkogler Posts: 2
edited 11/22/2015 - 2:39 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am wondering if anyone has any information (suggestions) about accessing services and supports during surgery recovery. I'm having an artificial disc replacement C6/C7 (might have to be a fusion but won't know until he gets in there)
I'm very concerned about the recovery time after my surgery. I also have Crohn's disease which may complicate and extend my recovery. I work full-time and of course I'm going to have to take time off. (Another concern is that I'm the major breadwinner in our household and not sure if I have to be out for extended time how that's going to impact us financially. I don't have any disabilitiy insurance or set up anything)

I have three boys ages 13, 7 and 4. . As many can imagine and I'm sure have been in the same situation I'm very concerned of how I'm going to manage the family. (meals activities housekeeping laundry school etc.) My husband also works full-time and won't be able to take a significant time off work to care for me. He is a fabulous partner and I know will do his best to try to pick up the slack but it is just so much. (Also not sure how much pizza and chicken nuggets our children will be able to have since he's not very proficient in cooking :). I know friends in our church community most likely will try to assist. Maybe some meals and schedule set up. However from other previous health experiences that's typically pretty significant's initially but has A tendency to fall off and not last thrventire duration needed. Also very difficult to except that assistance from friends to that level I most likely will need.
I'm wondering if anyone has accessed in home care services. Wondered how the experiences was and if insurance paid for it. I know their services and organizations that will come in to do housecleaning meal preparation nursing issues run errands take to the doctor etc. Typically these are used more for the elderly population but saw on the website for one of these organizations that they do services after hospitalizations or significant surgeries. If someone had accessed the services and was able to have insurance pay for it. What are some suggestions tips and pitfalls I might need to know to get it covered. Again there is no way we could financially pay out-of-pocketb
Also has anyone gotten the disabilities parking pass after the initial recovery? I'm just not sure really how significant this is going to be and what I should be requesting from my doctor etc. By experiences people don't necessarily tell you what the options are and you have to be proactive and seek it out. I really am thankful for this forum so I can hear experiences and wisdom form those that have already gone through it

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I would think talking with your doctor and maybe seeing the hospital social worker could help.
    I would think hospital social worker best for ideas.

Depending on where you live, there may be a social worker available through your Dept. of Human Services, or such.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The answer is dependant on the type of insurance you are using for the surgery. If you are using your regular healthcare insurance then I doubt you would have coverage. You can just call the toll free number on the back of your card.

If you were involved in an automobile accident and the other party was at fault and has ample insurance, there is a possibility you would have coverage there. On the other hand, if you were at fault, more than likely there is no coverage. Again, you would need to contact the insurance carrier involved.

I would strongly suggest you make as many meals in advance as possible and freeze them (I made 28 meals). You kids will need to pitch in and see if others can carpool etc.

As far as a disability parking pass, you need to be walking right from the beginning. You won't be able to drive for 2-3 weeks anyway so a pass isn't really needed for this type of surgery.

C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex
  • I completely empathize with you. I have a 6 and 2 year old and I had a one level ACDF on 05/20/15. It's really scary thinking about the aftermath and how you'll cope with not only taking care of yourself, but other little human's too. I imagine you're in pain now, yes? Post surgery pain is still pain, only different. But pain is pain so that's not going to change. What will change is your ability to do certain things which, life has to go on so you have to work around your post op condition while continuing to be a mother, f/t worker and wife.
    Before surgery I spoke to my kids about my condition (within reason of their ages). I taught my toddler to use a stool to get onto the bed for diaper changes, to get into the kitchen chair and even had one in the car to use getting in the car and in his car seat. I went back to work 2 weeks post op but didn't start driving until 3 weeks post op because of my range of motion and pain with it. During this time my husband works 12 hour shifts so he leaves before 7am and gets home at 7pm. It was my responsibility to get myself and the kids out of the house and to school/daycare and work. I woke up much earlier than the kids to start getting myself ready, then my oldest dressed himself and I'd carefully dress the baby. Everything goes in slow motion...you have to take your time and planning ahead will work in your favor. Obviously you literally have no time to nurse your wounds so take lots of breaks during the work day. Rest your head as much as possible as your neck will get really fatigued. After work I pick the boys up then get us in the house then there comes dinner. Reward your oldest child to help look after his/her siblings while you get dinner ready. Make sure husband is helping you bathe the kids. I didn't bathe them for at least 4 months. That position just isn't going to happen post surgery. Not for a while anyway. Laundry? My husband does the laundry but basically you'll still be able to do this as well. Just NO lifting your arms up at all. This position hurts and is prohibited for weeks after surgery. When the kids get in bed, ice/heat your neck and get as much sleep as you can when you can.

I promise you it seems scary and impossible but it will work. We literally had help for 3 days after my surgery then I was on my own -with the kids. Slow and steady, communicate with the kiddos and absolutely rely on your husband for almost everything in the weeks after your surgery.

I wish you the best of luck and remember, it will work out fine.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)