Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling so alone

I had lumbar surgery for spinal stenosis, During surgery the doctor found I had a lot of arthritis in my lower back, so he removed it, but there was some leakage. Post op I had to lay in bed flat on my back for 2 days, I am at home now with recommendations to just walk. it has been 2 days since I'm home. When I lay down I am in a lot of pain on my right buttocks area when I get up. I can not find a comfortable place to sit, lay down, or walk. I am in constant tears and pain and feel like I'll always be like this. My husband and daughter have been a BIG help and am grateful for them, any suggestions?

• well, if its any consolation, the symptoms you are having will probably lessen over time.. you had a big procedure & it takes time to get everything settled down. i had a similar pain after my fusion. I'm on week three now and that particular symptom is gone. I still have others of course, but there has been some improvement...
  • Thank you for your reply.
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 487
    Sorry to hear you're not in a good place yet after surgery....I think the first couple weeks were the roughest.

Are you still using ice packs? I had to write down when I took my meds so I wouldn't miss a dose, or take more than I needed. When you're in that much pain, you want to keep a steady flow of them in your system to avoid having to build back up again.

I had a lot of arthritis in the disc they took out too, but I mainly remember the dead weight feeling in lower back after surgery, and yes, not being able to get comfy in anything I did.

My Mom stayed with me the first couple weeks, so thankful for her loving care. She did say I moaned a lot in my sleep. I would usually wake up finding I had both knees up, waking to one of them starting fall to side...that wasn't fun, but having my knees up did help relieve some pressure off my spine....couldn't lay like that all the time, had to keep rotating often.

I think feelings of overwhelming emotions is normal after surgery, and feeling all alone can be too, maybe missing the old you I think. I think the surgery causes our body chemistry to get a little wonky for a bit, but it will level back out. But if you're concerned about your pain level, and/or emotions, you shouldn't hesitate to call your surgeons office....sometimes just hearing their reassurance that what you're going through is normal, can help calm oneself.... or offer suggestions on what you should do.

Hope you are able to enjoy Thanksgiving a bit.