Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I been searching and not able to find any thing on Tlif surgery with using only one rod and 2 screws . I told my NS that was not able to find info on it he said it is in the medical journal. Well not easy to find it there. He told me why he did it put not fore sure what he was telling me. Is there any body out there who has heard of it?
Had L4L5 and L5s1 fused in 1999
10/27/15 TLIF of L3L4
360 OLIF revision on 7/6/16 for L3L4

• this is something i be supersized if any one has heard of. but i figure I try
    10/27/15 TLIF of L3L4
  • Where can I get info on fusion of one level use one rod and 2 screws . instead of 2 rods and 4 screws
    10/27/15 TLIF of L3L4
  • edited 12/06/2015 - 4:34 PM
    Hi, I am not sure where the fusion is required on your spine? I am assuming L5/S1, if so I think what you are looking for is called a 360 fusion. I did have one done along with two artificial disc replacements. I hope this helps.
    Cindy Alberta Canada
    Surgery Nov 2015
    Cervical ADR M6 C4/5, C 5/6, Anterior Fusion C 6/7
    Lumbar ADR M6 L3/4, L4/5 isthmic spondylolisthesis, 360 Fusion L-5 S-1
    Stenum Hospital, Germany
  • looks like I am not explaining myself to good one level fusion was at L3L4. My question is to do with screws and rods . When you have a lumbar fusion and rod and screws are used, for a one level screws and rods are used on (both sides) of the disc. My NS put screws and rod on (one side only). I am not able to find information on this. I asked my Doctor his answer is not very clear at all. I hope this explains it better . Thank ,you
    10/27/15 TLIF of L3L4
  • edited 12/07/2015 - 7:30 AM
    TLIF and PLIF are much in the same procedure wise, not where they go directly straight in on mine I had the PLIF, the TLIF which looking back is the way I should have gone, did my research to late, The TLIF is better recovery less chances of damage to nerve root an muscle is Transforaminal they can go in through the forman lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF). With this technique, the surgeon approaches the spine a little bit from the side. This requires less movement of the nerve roots. More recently, it has even been possible to take a direct side approach and center the incision over the patient's flank. With this approach, the surgeon can reach the disk without moving the nerves and opening the back muscles.

I have 1 rod 2 screws and bone graft material with bone of my own from my lamina on the r/s only if 2 vertebrae are needed to be fused you'd have 4 screws

Hope this helps you answer some of your questions also request your surgical notes from the hospital or surgi center where ever you had your fusion.

Hope your recovering well. Hope this was helpful.
    This can't be happening
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 158
    I would ask your Doctor to explain this to you in words that you can understand. And all the questions you are asking here..Ask him. He should able to tell you why, He is the one who did it? right.
    Greg fisher