Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injured neck 5 years ago in american football

So the coach told me to hit him as hard as I could, I was kind of young and stupid and hit the coach head down so the force caused me to damage the right side of my neck. I have neck spasams throughout the day that I can bear with but 5 years it is seriously getting annoying. Its like a sharp pain then my neck gets tight. I am getting an MRI done but was wondering if heating constantly would help my neck heal?. What other treamaents are there? im just hoping i dont need surgery.

• Imdean12IImdean12 Posts: 2
    edited 11/30/2015 - 2:48 PM
    I also injured my neck about four years ago. I slipped on the ice on the lake while ice fishing and I landed on top of my head and I was at the time more worried about the hit I took to the head and forgot all about it a week later. Then in the spring I started getting more active and I was having pain in my left shoulder and down my arm. We started chasing the problem from checking for rotater to tennis elbow, pulled muscles in my shoulder. Nothing fixed it. X-ray never showed what the MRI did. And then the neurosurgeon was asking if I had an accident recently I said no (forgetting all about the fall on the ice) I've gone over the handlebars on bikes more times than I can count but not lately. He told me I needed surgery I had a herniated disc in my neck c5&c6 and it needed to be fused, I just had it done on the 18th of November and I'm doing fine, I keep getting better everyday. As for ice and heat. I'm not a doctor so I really don't know what will work for you. I would think if something is inflamed and I was to add heat it might make it worse as ice would reduce the inflammation.

Early on when I was seeking answers I was only able to get moderate relief trying different exercises.
    I went from being a top 10 24 hour mountain bike racer to not being able to ride 15 miles. Sometimes it got better for a little bit then it would come back with a vengeance at times I thought I was having a heart attack to another time I thought I was having a stroke.
    Getting that MRI was golden for me.
    Good luck and keep seeking the best treatment and keep being proactive in this my doctor didn't wanna do an MRI.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 12/01/2015 - 12:30 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History